Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

General daily practice (Vol 1, 2 and 3)

Hi all,

I'm curious to know, when anyone does general daily practice with any of the volumes, do you use the tracks with Kens voice or just do the ones with the piano accompaniment? For volumes 1 and 2 I think it's ok to use the piano one only. But I've been on Volume 3 for a few months now and I decided to give the piano one version a try and I just can't find a rhythm, I find it almost impossible to do without doing it with Ken. So just curious to know what others experiences are between these two on any of the volumes.

Thanks

Comments

• It depends on the purpose for the choice. Some people use the exercises with Ken to emulate the tone, and brightness of his voice.
    Others use the piano only scales to work on getting better pitch, or just fine tuning it.
    For some one is just easier for them than the other.

The question is really posed to you. Which would be more beneficial for the growth of your voice?

Peace, Tony
  • theo_biermantheo_bierman 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    Thanks Tony. That makes sense. I guess I feel more comfortable following Ken because I can attempt to emulate his tone (as best I can....). But I do need to work on pitch, a lot! So if the piano guided one helps with that then I guess I need to create a practice routine using both methods.
  • Maybe alternate one day doing it with Ken, and the next Piano only. Try it for a week or two. That way you can do a comparison as to what works better for you. Maybe even alternating will work best for you.

Keep me posted, I'm interested in what you discover.

Peace, Tony
    That's a very good idea, I will definitely do that. I think I'll start this with Volume 2 instead of 3 and then progress alternatively with Volume 3.

Thanks for your support Tony, I will definitely keep you posted.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @theo_bierman personally I did it with Ken´s voice for years, then stopped and did it by myself and piano or guitar, recently I picked it up again with Ken´s voice, Ken once quoted Einstein in a video and really stuck to me "example is not a way to teach is the ONLY way" you´ll find that you are more precise on what Ken did on each exercise with how much pressure, or how light, how open must it sound, this things can be forgotten a bit, I believe this is something really important, I think is more likely to get a human´s (Ken) rhythm of training, but that´s just me, hope this helps
    Thanks @Gaston_Jauregui I appreciate your feedback. It's definitely much easier with Ken than on my own, at least for now. Even alternating one day with Ken and one day without. I guess that will get better and better. There is just such a big difference between both exercises.