Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

L.A. Woman

Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
I decided to post only part of the song so there would be less to focus on. Seems like there's just too much to go through in an entire song. Please provide suggestions for improvement...and don't be shy, I'm my own worst critic.

Also, am I posting this in the right section? I thought I read somewhere that this part of the forum is open to the public so KTVA techniques cannot be discussed in detail here for critical feedback. Please advise.

Lastly, is my mix okay as far as volume and effects? Any other recording suggestions?

Thank you in advance everyone for your feedback.

Michael D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbxW-30SBI

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Dear Michael ( @Michael4000 ),

very, very cool tune. I think for us the mix is absolutely okay. We can hear the backing track and we can hear your vocals right in front of it.

The section is absolutely okay if you want a critical feedback.

I would to like to give you my personal feedback:

- very cool performance
    - great timbre (tone)
    - cool vibe (you matched the feeling of The Doors very good)
    - good timing (!!! - no galopping)

If you want to carry that really cool recording ahead I have only one advice: try to mask the sound even more. Try to sing more into the mask. Ken has had a very amazing on that topic last Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVvHT54PRA

Very cool job, Michael D.

Kind regards,
    Dr. Marco Ramadani (www.dr-ramadani.de)
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited November 2018
    @doc_ramadani thanks very much for your feedback. I'll check out this video about mask. Below I am posting the original version of LA Woman with isolated vocals. You can clearly hear that Jim Morrison was making some very deliberate modifications to his words. The written lyrics are:

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago / Took a look around, see which way the wind blow / Where the little girls in their Hollywood bungalows / Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light / Or just another lost angel? / City of Night, City of Night

He is leaving out a lot of consonants, particularly at the end of words... "jih" (just), "wih" (which)

As far as I know he had no vocal training. I guess he figured a lot out on his own. I actually just watched The Doors movie starring Val Kilmer, hadn't seen it in about 25 years.

BTW I've been listening to a lot of songs on YouTube with isolated vocals, it's interesting what you hear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sETiRR31l6o
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited November 2018
    hi @Michael4000 here are some details I would go for

and btw yes, check the video on mask will help a lot,

on the word "ago" from the first line, you will see you barely touched the note, we are supposed to match it clear and without trouble, this is how i´d approach it, I would try something like "Agao", second I would imagine all that line as if I was already in the high note (which again is "ago", btw this doesnt mean youa re gonna sing everything in that pitch is just imagine as if you were only gonna sing the high note, and the rest of the line will be easier, its just a visualization and support it)
    "Are you a lucky little lady from The City of Lights?" when you say the word "LIGHTS" you see how you reopened your mouth very drastically? this is why it sounded a little shouted, which is fine in terms of jim morrison style of singing, but it´s not technical, just as in the scales when you say LAH we are supposed to try to maintain the same space, this way is gonna be easier to keep the throat open, watch yourself in a mirror :)

hope this helps
    This is very helpful, thanks @Gaston_Jauregui
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I like the attitude you have on this. It fits the song and makes it fun. You overloaded the mic a little bit. Bring down the input level on the mic to avoid going into digital distortion on your loudest notes. Once distortion is recorded, you can't get rid of it, so it's important to get a clean recording, even if you are using vocal distortion.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Michael4000,

I didn't know that there are vocal only videos on youtube. Very cool to hear the vocal track isolated. And it is really interesting how many consonants Jim leaves out. And Ken teaches us that in the course.

Very helpful tip - thanks!

Regards, Doc
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    A lot of the "affectation" that Jim does in this recording really helps it to be "singing" instead of "speaking". It's where a lot of the character happens in singing. He's taking on a persona... Attitude!