Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Some other message board

ashfittisashfittis Posts: 183Member
says i cannot sing, they say im awful, and theyre nasty in general

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,868Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I'm sorry that they choose to treat you like that there. It's not really necessary, and in fact it's mean. We won't tell you that you sound great if you don't, but we will try to help you to learn how to sound better. Humiliating someone does not help them. We know you here. We know that you need to work on your pitch. That's hard to fix. You're the only one who can do the work that will improve your pitch. If you get your pitch working right, and learn how to control it, you will be an awesome singer.

Some say that pitch cannot be learned. It IS hard to do. Some people can't hear it, or don't know when they're off or on-pitch.

I believe you can do it. But you will have to prove me right. You will have to be the one to take full responsibility to focus on your pitch, work scales, and get them right, and become a singer that people will pay money to hear. It's a long road, and for some, very hard. But what have you got to lose? You want people to tell you you sound good. So do the work and blow the minds of the people who tell you that you'll never be a good singer. Prove them wrong... But it's work. And you have to be serious and want it badly enough to make it really happen.

Right now some of the notes you sing do sound awful. The NOTES sound awful, not YOU. Only because the pitch is wrong. Not because you have a bad voice. Likewise, some of the notes you sing sound fantastic. We need to change that to "ALL of the notes you sing sound fantastic." But WE can't do that. You have to do the work.

Scales, girl. Scales! Pitch.

Do it!
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 183Member
    thank you so much @highmtn you're a great kind person, an keep me continue my dream, they have me giving up, they bring me down and i dont post there anymore, but I am raging at my mother it's my money yeah? but she won't let me get the ken tamplim vocal academy when I need it, I live with her you see, I just need to stand up to her

ive been doing those of random scales everyday now they're so important
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,868Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Your mom is just doing her job as your mom. The music business is tough. My dad didn't want me to play drums. That was because he was worried that I would end up ruining my life. I still remember the time he yelled at me "You're not going to be one of those Damned Beatles!" (This was around 1964) He was that way because he loved me. My grandfather ended up getting me a cheap drum set. Fortunately my mom supported my musical ambitions. Eventually my dad even helped me to find a place for my band to practice.

I tried to become a famous musician, but that never happened. Still, I have had a great life playing in some really good bands, and now singing, as well. It's what keeps me going, but I had to keep "day jobs" to survive. I am so glad that I have been in music the entire time, as I worked to keep myself afloat, by day. I have made records and CD's, played on the road, played and sang in concerts, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I still play regularly, and it has been a great "bonus income" on top of what I have made at my "real" jobs. Being able to sing is the icing on the cake. But don't fool yourself. You'll have to work to put yourself in a position to be able to take care of yourself financially and to also follow your musical ambitions.

Don't be too mad at your mom. Moms are supposed to try to keep us from ruining our lives. She's trying to protect you from making bad choices. But we have to make our own choices sooner or later, and face up to the results. Just getting Ken's course won't fix your voice. Ken's course will help you to maximize the results you get as you work to get your voice in tune, all of the time. You have a good sound already, and it will get even better, but you still have to fix the pitch or the rest won't matter. Fixing the way you listen to yourself and making all of the notes come out right is going to be one of the hardest things you've ever tackled. It may take a lot more time and work than you realize. But I think it means a lot to you to do this.

Maybe you and your mom can talk heart to heart. You can tell her that you know you need to work on your voice, and that you want this as something that will help you to do something for yourself that means a lot to you. You might even thank your mom for the things she has done for you and that she gives you a place to live. The likelihood that any of us are going to be catapulted to stardom on Idol or "Got Talent" is very small, even if we're really, really good. Only a very few actually make it to the big time. But music can be something that means a lot and gives us a way to express ourselves that is very healthy and fulfilling.

How many of those people telling you to give up are actually successful full-time musicians, living in mansions? Zero is probably the correct number. So don't let their discouragement be the determining factor in your decisions. Follow your heart, but be prepared to do some serious adjustments to the way you approach your singing.
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 183Member
    Again great advice that is much appreciated thank you so much for your support @highmtn
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 4612.0 PRO
    Dear @ashfittis,

there is one saying I tell my patients a lot: Do not try to be like the others, there are already enough others! - And ... nothing to add to what Bob said.

Love, Doc