Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Returning to singing after a loooong time, help needed!!!

Hi all, this is my first post and I am super grateful for any support I can get!

20 years ago I got a nodule and a cyst from singing incorrectly with my band at the time. I opted for surgery as I knew of no other alternative. The experience freaked me out and I mostly stopped singing until now. So at 39 I am keen to understand how to sing properly and enjoy this passion of mine!!

What I see as my biggest challenge is of course vocal tension! I very easily get a slight sore throat from doing warm ups. I am now at the point where I have almost no tension, but the notes I sing are quite low. Do I need to just gently stretch and strengthen my lower register and work my way up?

My chest voice feels good, but my head voice is a bit weak. Right now I have been focusing on breathing correctly and correct body alignment, plus those low notes.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am also happy to make a video of me singing, but I thought to share a video of me singing warm ups because that is all I am doing right now to avoid vocal strain which seems to happen so quickly. Or should I share a video of me singing a song?

Thank you kindly, EllyM

Comments