Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Singing with emotion (grit in mid range)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to add just a tiny bit of grit to a single syllable for emotive use. I'm not talking about singing an entire song with grit, just the odd word when singing a mid to high note.

An example is of Michael Jackson in Dirty Diana. He uses this throughout but most notably just before the chorus and during the chorus on the word Di-AH-na.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Matt,

Ken explains it pretty well in volume 3. The idea of distorting the voice is to really cut back the air and force more sound pressure over the cords. He uses a few different examples and demonstrates this as well I. The hyper glottal compression webinars. The distorted tone will be quieter when you first start to build it, don't force it, think if holding your breath while singing. Also you must keep the throat open just like you do when singing clean. When you build up this tone, you will then be able to add it in wherever you want for emotion. Be careful make sure your technique is spot on before working in distortion. Always work the voice clean afterwards. All the best.