Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Singing and guitar playing

I have started playing the guitar about 3 months ago since i wanted to play an instrument with singing and im having problems in singing while im playing it. My singing is by far better than my playing and i know when i get more experienced with the guitar that the playing will come automatically but in the meantime any tips on improving this?

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Juraj,

I am a guitar player, too. Ken has a very good free video on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHEX6oCCsA

Doc
  • Playing guitar is like learning to read, and write. You start by learning the notes, then the chords, and then melodies, and harmonies, and you're on your way (3-5 years later).

Learn how to strum the guitar in time. It will help you with playing, and singing because the strumming will be like a metronome.

Peace, Tony
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    Hi @JurajM, maybe this is obvious, but it might help:

find a song that is really easy to play on guitar (and also easy to sing), and practise it over and over, with and without singing. you could also start with just the strumming hand, muffling the strings with your fret hand. this way, you don't have to worry about the chords, but it will help make the two things a bit more independent. then, later, you can throw in the chord changes.

the most important thing is to not get frustrated. have fun with it, and also, record yourself, and save the files for later. it can be very motivating to listen to your first attempts, and hear the progress you made, even if you are still not quite there yet.

as you said, it will come over time, the more you play, the quicker it will happen.

good luck!