Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

My First of so Many things!!!!

victortangvictortang Posts: 5962.0 PRO
Hi All! Since Doing the KTVA program, I have done so many songs for the first time because I can sing higher with much less strain, My tone has improved for the first time in my life, I am reaching certain high notes for the first time. My wife attests to these, so I know the course is serving me well. Speaking of "First time", I did something crazy for the First Time (again) a few hours ago. I videoed it and audio recorded it, all into an iPhone 7, and then did a quick post production with my digital studio at home.

It was an experiment to see how well I can control myself under heavy breathing demands. And I do mean heavy. I even picked a song that had previously made me feel out of breath, even under normal circumstances.

In this video, you will see that I was trying to sound as normal as I could. I was forcing myself to appear normal (in my face) too. But inside, I was dying from exhaustion in more ways than one.... Let me assure you, it was difficult. But it was really fun!!! Why I do things like this to myself (frequently) I will never know. :smiley:

I Hope this brings you some entertainment:

Comments

• DevonMooreDevonMoore Posts: 44Pro, 2.0 PRO
    that is a pretty interesting experiment, should do it with out the music over lay.

Like if you just had 1 head phone in and then sung it so we can hear the voice isolated. I feel you would get a lot more out of it this way.
  • victortangvictortang Posts: 5962.0 PRO
    edited December 2018
    @DevonMoore Hi!

I see what you are saying. Agree. I have now posted a "raw" footage. Music was played through a small 3 inch speaker near the camera and facing me. No editing no overlay, no reverb, no eq. No post production whatsoever. Very raw indeed.

The backing music and my voice were both recorded straight into an iPhone 7. Lots of mispronunciations and missed words due to lack of breath but i worked hard to "cover up"... :blush:
    edited December 2018

Like if you just had 1 head phone in and then sung it so we can hear the voice isolated. I feel you would get a lot more out of it this way.

I actually thought of that initually. But my headphone cable is way too short. This was done at the spur of the moment....

I think I will try it when I get some blue tooth earphones.!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,809Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @victortang,

OMG, you crazy guy. As soon as you manage to sing "High hopes" by Panic at the Disco while lifting the Statue of Liberty with your left arm, scramble my eggs with the right and prepare my "Espresso doppio" with your left leg, I will a sign a lifetime membership in your gym. :smiley:

Doc
    @doc_ramadani

Hi @victortang,

OMG, you crazy guy. As soon as you manage to sing "High hopes" by Panic at the Disco while lifting the Statue of Liberty with your left arm, scramble my eggs with the right and prepare my "Espresso doppio" with your left leg, I will a sign a lifetime membership in your gym. :smiley:

Doc

I have questions: (1) Can I use Autotune in High Hopes? (2) Am I allowed to wear a lifting belt since the Statue of Liberty is quite heavy? (3) How many eggs?? ($) Any sugar in your Espresso Doppio? :blush:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,809Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @victortang,

(1) Nope. Hey man, we are at KTVA. :)
    (2) That is okay.
    (3) 2 will be okay. I have to watch my cholesterol.
    (4) No, sugar in coffee is a sin.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani I will work on these!!! You are a hard man! Hahaha
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 700STREAMING PRO
    This video was awesome. And what is more amazing is that I do not think your singing suffered at all from the physical demands (maybe it even helped?!) Very very impressive. Good luck in the competition. How did the microphone pick up your voice? I don't see a microphone anywhere on the screen.
    Maybe Ken will change the sit-up exercise to the pull up exercise after seeing this video LOL
    Are you going to give ktva a plug if you get on the show?
    What made you choose this song? Do you know Italian?
    edited February 1
    @Michael4000

I have sung this song for 20 years! One of the songs I learned while under a Bel Canto teacher. My wife speaks fluent italian. I know some. I mispronounced a few words in there due to physical fatigue and distraction. It was the first time I did this (chin up and sing).

The sound was merely from my iPhone. I posted a second version (which has the unedited sound direct from the iPhone). Did you see/listen to that?

No, the chinups made my singing suffer. I had to cut short some of the notes. And I found it really hard to control the softer notes.

No doubt Ken will be enthusiastically mentioned whenever appropriate. Not that he needs the "plug". But I will ask his permission first. That's if I get that far....
    edited February 1
    @Michael4000 What made me choose this song? Haha....

I wanted to see if my singing will be badly affected by heavy exercise. So I chose the most difficult exercise that will demand that I breathe like a horse. And I chose a song that I find difficult to hit that last G4 note (mei piu). You know, prior to actually singing the song in this video, I have sung the song many times in a transposed version. Mostly from G to F. When I sing in G, my technique was so poor that I strain to hit G.

SO I decided to dive into this, just to see if the last few months of KTVA exercises have really done me good.

Well, it HAS!!! I hit that G4 as smoothly as my best day!

BTW squats with a barbell would be even harder but it compresses on the core too much for me to sing while squatting.
    edited February 1
    @Michael4000 These was the other difficult exercise that I am considering into my singing repertoire:

@victortang So you just had the backing track playing out of some speakers and recorded video with the iPhone's built-in microphone? Nothing was plugged directly into the phone?
    @Michael4000 I didn't Just have that. I put a layer of the backing track on top of the iPhone video (that recorded my voice and music coming out of a 3 inch speaker, this was shown in the 2nd youtube video).

The first video shown a video after putting a music track onto iMovie along with the iPhone video, and adding reverb and accentuating 2khz to the sound touring out the voice.

I am happy to video an entire process to show you next time I do this (soon).
    edited February 1
    Okay but the part I'm most curious about is what microphone recorded the audio of your vocals?
    edited February 2
    @Michael4000 No microphone, just the iPhone. The sound is just from an iPhone. You may notice that when I face slightly away from the iPhone camera (and mic built in), my voice is a little muffled. I do push a bit harder for a louder volume whenever that happens.

The edited version sounded brighter and cleaner because I raised the 2kHz frequency of the iPhone recorded audio. I was surprised how good it sounded too.

I'm going to do a smilier thing today. I might try and use my Gopro to video the entire process for you.