Home The Singer's Lobby

Pop/punk and pop/rock sound

Mr_TheoMr_Theo 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
Hey, guys,

I'm looking to develop a strong pop/punk and/or pop/rock sound, like Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy, and Deryck Whibley from Sum 41. Does anyone have any tips on how to develop this particular style of voice? Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Care to post any specific examples?
  • Mr_TheoMr_Theo 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    highmtn said:

Care to post any specific examples?

Of course. Some examples are Sum 41's song 'In Too Deep', Fall Out Boy's 'The Last of the Real Ones', and (although this one isn't related to the last article per se), 'Burning Up', by Marianas Trench. These are some fantastic contemporary songs delivered with a strong pop/punk or pop/rock sound.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi @Mr_Theo , my two cents: you already kind of answered the question yourself, they have "strong", powerful voices. I am by no means an expert, but since I saw no one else answered this, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd say they use strong support, and have a lot of mileage on the voices. i.e. used them a lot in their respective ranges. I'd say if you do the exercises, you'll get there soon enough (the style is not very subtle, there are much harder things to sing). i listen to lots of punk myself, so it's not a diss. if you post something (maybe a cover of one of those artists), I'd imagine you will get more of a reaction, and people here will be able to help you point you in the right direction. or any other similar song you sing would do, too. maybe you have done some recordings already? there is some asian guy on youtube with a video on "how to sing punk rock", he is taking apart very similar stuff, maybe you'd enjoy watching the video. it is 8:37 long. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the link here, you will find it though :)

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    @Klaus_T: I want to see the video! Post it, please!
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi @doc_ramadani , you can find it as per my description, but I also sent you a PM :) it is a singing channel, so I don't want to breach the forum rules here