Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Thurs TEST - ORIGINAL # 1

ikingiking Posts: 330Pro

Hey guys,

heres an original.

Comments

• ikingiking Posts: 330Pro
    edited January 13
    I guess no comments?

here is the new mix

1. Better?

• DiegoDiego Posts: 5532.0 PRO
    In my opinion they don't really blend together.
    It sounds like you recorded your vocals while having the background music playing, because it sounds kind of distant. I would insert the MP3/WAV. file for the background music into your editing software or whatever you use.
    edited January 13
    Hi Diego,

thanks for feedback.
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 5532.0 PRO
    On both, the backing track is not really present there. Your voice sounds clearer than the backing track and I think they should both retain the same quality. I would recommend a rerecording of the backing
    edited January 13
    hey guys,

heres Mix 3. Any better?

• VocalityVocality Posts: 1922.0 PRO
    @iking

Forgive me for asking do you have a link to the original song.

Vocality
    edited January 13
    I WROTE this. Its my original.

edited January 12
    @iking
    Thats pretty good, I have put a few chords together on my keyboard would like to put words to it but that's for another day. Nice to have your own song, unusual style as well and of course might take a little bit tweaking to get right.

Mix 3 to me sounds more balanced, are you using compression.

Vocality
    edited January 13
    My studio friend likes 3 the best, too, but he said to make the vocals even lower about 20%
    @iking

Well only a beginner on this course try to refrain criticise someone who is more advanced, especially when just beginning to sort out my own pitch problems.

Yes probably about right 20% drop in the vocals, just to get it sitting the mix nicely.

Vocality
    edited January 13
    Ok Vocality,

you agree with him cool. No problem, Ive asked anyone to critique anything.

• Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 496STREAMING PRO
    Nice original! Yes the vocals could be a little lower. But not too much lower. Continue working on Pitch end support. Nice job.
    Thanks Michael4000.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much lower... I really don't know how to gauge it. I guess every singer, producer, band would have their own opinion.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 712.0 PRO
    @iking, mixing is a matter of taste, yes. what you can do, choose a reference track which you like and has the sort of feel you want for your song, and try to replicate it (to begin with, just try to match the relative levels of voice/instruments). it will probably not sound exactly as intended, but don't get frustrated. you will have to do lots of mixes (of different material!!) in order to become a decent mixer. also, you will have to become good at recording, because if the source material does not sound good, it will be hard/impossible to turn it into a great mix. this is no critique of your recording, just saying. I recommend Warren Huart's youtube channel "produce like a pro" for great tips on how to do all of this. you can also download tracks there, which you can mix yourself for practice, which I have never done (but should be doing). if possible, I would get rid of the reverb on the vocals, or turn it down a bit. if it is your recording space, you will need something on the walls to kill the reflections
    edited January 13
    HI Klaus
    Thanks for feedback!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 853Administrator, 2.0 PRO, hidden_admin
    Hi @iking,

I am not experienced in mixing. But I have a lot experience in listening to music. I do it every day. :smile:

I would work on pitch. Did you do the better pitch exercises?

Doc
    edited January 13