Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Head voice

My question is about "how far can I go in the head voice :)"?
I am a male and I thought I was able to go pretty high but while I am able to follow Ken in the Dudes. I tried to follow him in the Divas, I could not go further then half way up the scale. Is there another exercise I can do to open up the other half of the scale?

Sincerely and thank you,

Claude Leonard

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    First it sounds like you are a student. You are going to want to get access to the student areas via this link: forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#

It sounds like you want to increase your range. That is done over time and with hard work. If you follow the course through you will definitely increase your range (and many other things).
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @ClaudeSing, what is your current top note?
    Just as an FYI, there is a free app for iPhone called "Singscope". You just sing into it and it tells you what note you are on. As you may already suspect, the note range gets higher as you go up the volumes, and trickier as well.

We all have our God-given ranges right out of the box, some more stellar than others.
    Within the first few months the gains tend to be pretty fast; then like anything, they slow down and require work to develop beyond a certain threshold.
    This is where the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and it is also separates the men from the boys. (so to speak)
    As increasing of the range beyond that event horizon takes no small amount of dedication and hard work.
    The rub is that all that may only yield a half step increase every 4-6 months of hard training. So if my current top note is F#5 and I want to be able to have a "USABLE" A5, I had better be able to just hit B5. That's 5 half-steps of range gain! My estimated math tells me that this might possibly take me 20-30 months to attain!!! (Of course it is not linear like that, as my body is analog and not digital)... but what it boils down to is that it all comes down to the fire in one's belly to achieve a goal especially when you commit to the 'long game'.

One of my favourite 'very relevant' song choruses is from Deep Purple "... Its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase!"

Cheers from Calgary!

Phillip
  • ClaudeSingClaudeSing 2.0 PRO Posts: 13
    Sorry for the delay to reply. I was using gStrings but found that Tuner-Pitched is more accurate for voice. My low is G#2 at 103.8 and my high is F5 at 712.5. Both started with filling my tommy with air then going down then take another deep breath and went the other way. Going down is one thing, going up is something that you need to be careful. Going up to fast could damage your chords. Saying all this I can honestly say that it took me 5 attempts before hitting the F5. Now that I did this I need to keep practicing so I can get these notes/chords line up. When I follow Ken with the practice and using the Tuner-Pitched app at the same time I can see that either I am over or under his notes. I think that time will bring those in line, I am somewhat a non-perfectionist but I do not like to start something only to correct them later.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @ClaudeSing , F5 is really very good! It took me over a year to hit that, and you're starting off with it :smiley:
    There's no knowing how far you'll be able to stretch that voice of yours :+1:
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @ClaudeSing , in order to avoid going in the wrong direction first and then having to steer back later, you can always post your LAH scales on here for evaluation (you probably heard that before, I just wanted to make sure you know about it, it is really helpful, and it takes out the guesswork). I was a bit reluctant at first to do so, but it really is worth it
  • Skatergirl46Skatergirl46 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 3
    Thanks for the app info. Phil! That is very useful.