Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Is this OVER SINGING? By Artist.

What is now exactly Over Singing? I thought this is over singing, but is looks like they have no problem with there voice?

If I sing like that what I want, over a hour my vocal is tired and acting strange.

Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytb7J0ciBcE on 0:48

Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYiuwiVK4RY on 0:22

Video 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzPLm1Aqr0 on 0:28

Video 2 en 3 same song but different video and place.

Video 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyyH3M5dLs on 1:40

Video 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBa8V5o8YCs on 0:40

Best Regards

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Over singing is when you are using too much volume for what the song requires. If you are doing basic scales it is pushing out the notes too loud. Over singing strains your voice and can result in injury. In songs over singing is a comment on artistry, but in practice it is warning to not push to far to fast.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2019
    I agree with @HuduVudu , and I would like to add this: I think it is a very subjective thing, if for example two people interpret the same song in a very similar way (let's say the Ed Sheeran song), one of them could be oversinging, based on the fact that they are less trained and will therefore struggle when the other one is totally fine, so an "outsider" could not tell who is oversinging, but one of them would have a scratchy throat or other ailments later.

and then, there are songs that need the rasp and energy, so in HuduVudu's definition, they would not be oversung, but they still might ruin the singer's vocal health, even if the song "calls" for that sort of energy. I am thinking of Nirvana and similar acts, and Metal and Grindcore and things like that, where you can either ruin your vocal chords, or the song by not giving your all. Although, if those shouters learned safer technique from Ken, maybe they could both keep the sound heavy AND keep their vocal chords healthy. I hope this makes sense :)

I think to get where you want to be (I take it you want to be able to perform a full hour without feeling you've overdone it), make sure you are properly warmed up, keep the warmup nice and soft like HuduVudu said, and then go easy on the songs first, and then slowly increase the overall level over the course of a few weeks. Maybe throw in a heavier version of one or two of the songs, and keep the rest of your setlist down, then keep cranking the gas on a few more a few weeks later, until you've eased into being able to do it all at the target intensity. You can listen to your body, I think you will feel what is right for you, and when you are ready to take it up another notch. Play with the order of the songs as well, do the softer stuff first and the harder things later, so the voice is fully warmed up by the time you reach the hard bits. One last thing, Ken mentions in one of the videos to NOT have a rest day after a performance (which will always be the most intense time for your voice I think. He says unless you are hoarse, do the warmup (very softly) anyway the next day. I'd imagine the same goes for after when you feel you have overdone it. Make a point of doing a maintenance session the next day (again, very lightly!!!).

I hope you can make some good progress in this area soon, just keep focused, it won't come overnight, but it will surely not take that long either.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    These vocalists are going into a compressed state where they access their call voice. You can oversing on that, or you can keep it under control. Ed Sheeran is keeping the throttle back, holding back with support, even though he does bring in compression. The Shawn Mendes clips are also under control when he belts. Christian Nodal is getting closer to oversinging, but he is controlling his volume, just not as smoothly as Ed or Shawn.

So belting is not necessarily oversinging, but if you just blast to get to the note because that's the only way you know to get there, you will oversing. Not knowing how to get to a note tempts you to just blast. Support is a way to protect yourself from the temptation to blast. It gives you a measure of control.
  • PeterpetPeterpet Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for your reply!!

I'm uncertain and confused about how to sing right and the technique about singing. If I sing and try to belting/sing highly vocal is tired after 1 hour and sometimes acting strange.

So I thought maybe I'm over-singing or do something wrong or maybe not. And imagine, if the famous artist also overt-sing or push to hard for the high notes. Why they can sing many times a performance without problems, and if I sing 1 hour try to belt and sing high my vocals are getting tired and acting strange. For example if I want to sustain high notes.

Thats why I have many questions and thoughts.

I have now the Ken Tamplin Course and i'm in the begin stage (Volume One) I do the course now a couple weeks. I hope that I can belt and sing with good technique in the future, and that my vocals are getting stronger for the belts.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello @Peterpet,

since you have the course now, you should get your forum status upgraded. Follow the instructions here.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi @Peterpet , great that you have the course, with a bit of patience, you will surely see improvement very soon, and reach the goals you have now, and probably also some you didn't even know you had!
  • PeterpetPeterpet Member Posts: 14
    Thanks!!!!!

I can't wait haha. I'll do my best.