Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Chest voice... head voice...do I need to separate the two?

JonirockstarJonirockstar Posts: 62.0 PRO
55 year old female musician here and beginner at KTVA. My voice is heavily influenced by Ann Wilson. I have the same strong tone she does up to an F5 (used to be A5 before I hit 50). I know what head voice is, or at least defined by my last classical vocal instructor (I’ve had a few) before Ken. I call my head voice my Olivia Newton John voice. 😊 The only time I have a break issue is when I’m singing a song that hammers on F#4 to G#4. I was able to sing a chorus well in a song that I’ve had endless problems with yesterday (it hammers on those notes) using the open throat technique that I just learned from Ken. I haven’t noticed any break between head and chest in the exercises. So I guess my question is, since I seem to have the same strong vocal tone in the exercises all the way up and down the scale (E3 to F5), do I need to sort out head and chest voice in the exercises? My goals are to strengthen my trouble area (F#4-G#4) and get my strong A5 back. Also to increase my endurance, my vocal consistency, accuracy, and bring a little ratty rock tone into my voice without hurting it. And of course, to maintain my voice as long as I can. I am very happy to be here with all of you and to be learning more about my voice.

Comments