Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

My original recorded in 1990!!!

victortangvictortang Posts: 5732.0 PRO
edited February 7 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
@Gaston_Jauregui @highmtn @Ken Tamplin @Diego @Michael4000 @Vixen85 @Sophia @Klaus_T @cwcw @Wigs

Guys! While spring cleaning, I found a (forgotten) CD produced in 1990 - I was 25 yo and and aspiring rock star (haha). I wrote this song amongst many, did the arrangement, and had a bunch of top musicians to collaborate. Ahhh...those were the days!!! Before mortgage, before marriage, before children, before vocal chord nodules(!!), before grey hair, and nearly before puberty haha!!!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 5222.0 PRO
    @victortang , very cool, thanks for sharing this! seeing this was way before affordable recording gear was available to everyone, how did you do that?
  • victortangvictortang Posts: 5732.0 PRO
    @Klaus_T It was done in a professional studio. The musicians were very high calibre ones - working regularly for TV. I had a manager who eventually disappeared with my money...
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 700STREAMING PRO
    Wow this is really good! I love the 80s keyboard sounds haha.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,785Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    edited February 8
    Victor, @victortang

this is very, very good. And when hearing this I finally got what sometimes distracts me when I listen to some of your earlier demos in this forums, since you do NOT DO it in this song. But this is MY PERSONAL TASTE. There is not such much "Al Jarreau" in there. Not so much closing-opening-covering-uncovering-a lick here-a lick there. Most drastically I mentioned it in the George Benson song. For MY PERSONAL TASTE, this sounds a little bit overdone, exaggerated. And you have such a strong, cool voice when you sing a little bit more straight.

Doc

PS.: GOOD LUCK for your audition! I cross my fingers for you.

• Vixen85Vixen85 Posts: 56Pro
    This is amazing! LOve it totally! the song writing is really good , guitar playing is aweome and your singning is really really GOOD. really sorry for my late reply but i haven't sung anything in months. Struggling with GERD.
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 1922.0 PRO
    @victortang Fantastic! Great performance! Brought me back to the sounds of the late 80s. The keyboards, the harmony guitar solo, the reverb...
    @Vixen85 Not to pry, but do you happen to be treating allergies with nasal steroids such as Flonase or Nasocort? After using them problem free for nearly two decades, I recently discovered, to my surprise, that they were the cause of all kinds of stomach (gerd and gerd-like symptoms) problems for me. Haven't used them for 9 months, and my stomach issues have gone away. Yeah, I know they're not meant to be swallowed, but it just happens. Just trying to help. :)
    @Vixen85 I am sorry to hear you are unwell. Sending you "get well vibes"!!!! The guitarist was/is a young lady who also produced the CD for me. (Well, she was young back in 1991...haha)

@cwcw I know right??!!! The 80s!!! No autotune though!!!

@doc_ramadani You are right about my exagerated "style". I don't know what happened but i think bad habits creep in when I stop paying attention. I was ssssso used to sitting at a piano and singing for DECADES. Singing without a keyboard makes me fidgety. Plus, as you may have noticed by now, I have an abundance of energy. Funny you should mention AL Jarreau!!! I have been told I have his sound several times in some songs. Especially this one that I wrote (below). Al Jarreau was one of my all time favourites and influence. Some of his style and vocal production was definitely parroted by me. (Don't get me wrong, I am NOT comparing with Jarreau!!!! He is God and we are mere mortals!!!). Of late, I have found his exaggerated ways a bit not so much to my taste...even though I absolutely worshipped him decades ago!!

@Michael4000 Thanks for the encouragement! Were you a toddler or a little boy when I sang that? hahaha

My Al Jarreau Wannabe song that I wrote in the late 80s:

edited February 8
    @doc_ramadani I think I know why I "exaggerate" doc. The songs that you hear and see me doing those excessive stuff are mostly ones that were previously unreachable for my voice. That george benson song "in your eyes" is a key that makes it really hard to sing for me - nearly always at the primo passagio of my voice throughout the entire song. For over 30 years that I have loved this song, I was NEVER able to sing it!!!! (I spent 3 days just trying to get the first sentence right. "I think i finally know you, I can see beyond your smile". And I am still not happy with it.)

I think because I am working extra hard in my support, vowel modification, and open throat, to reach those previously unreachable notes, I find it a little bit helpful to exaggerate. Once my muscle memory kicks in, I am sure I can relax a lot more and do away with those exaggerations.

I am not one to shy away from a challenge. So my challenge is now to "own" songs like these - songs that were previously IMPOSSIBLE. Once i "own" them, I can do anything i want physically, including relaxing up to a point.

I have had so many singing teachers. And I thought that there is nothing beyond what I knew. After 30 years of "knowing so much", I am just a hardworking musician with 10% talent and 90% perspiration and hardwork. I was convinced that my 10% talent is limited to the range and repertoire of a baritone, and there was no more room for improvement. Until KTVA!!! This is true! Imagine, finding out the truth at 54 years of age.

Never too late! After all, I did a life time personal best of 30 chin ups last year....hahaha. I now see singing as I see muscle/strength building. Anything is possible. We just need to be hardworking and methodical, and patient.

After saying all that (above), do you think I need a psychiatrist for some strong medication? hahaha

• Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 700STREAMING PRO
    in 1990 I was 14!
    edited February 8
    @Michael4000 14....and dreaming of marrying a beautiful woman, have a couple of beautiful children and contributing to the world. :) I am sure you have put many ticks to your boxes....
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,785Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @victortang, please do not forget: MY PERSONAL TASTE! And I am not sure what the audience and the jury of "Australian Idol" wants to hear from you.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani It is not Australian Idol. I think the age limit is about 12yo there (haha). I am involved with Australia's Got Talent. I am not just singing - i will be performing a kind of stunt while singing.

I understand about the personal taste thingy. But my exaggeration in singing is a bad habit, not a stylistic choice. It is almost like my nervous system is running on overdrive. A physiotherapist who is a client of mine once taught me that there is a phenomenon called the "spill over effect". I just need to become a more skilful singer.

How about that prescription doc? Make it a strong one!!! :D
    edited February 9
    Hi @victortang,

It is not Australian Idol. I think the age limit is about 12yo there (haha)

See, how young and fresh you look. :D

So I see - your "spill over effect" is really severe. So I would recommend a suppository. I will ask Sonja (she is a pharmacist) to make a really big and strong one for you. :D

Doc
    @doc_ramadani HAHAHAHAHAHA....Yes please.
    @doc_ramadani Actually, Al jarreau was and is a performer that I really really like. Have you ever seen this clip below???
    @doc_ramadani Suppository! LOL! Good one! :) @victortang That could help with those high notes, but may cause a little tension. ;)
    Chris ( @cwcw ) , sometimes a little tension might help. Especially in the case of @victortang. I asked wifey if it would be possible to put some pepper it the suppositories. I think it might help his support, what do you think?

Doc
    Doc, @doc_ramadani , I'm sure Sonja can compound all kinds of good things in there. The pepper will make him @victortang pucker for sure. ;)
    edited February 10
    @doc_ramadani @cwcw Enough with the Suppository Talk!!! I say you DHL it over here, pepper or no pepper. If it helps with high notes, I will endure ANYTHING!!!

I just came back from a local singing contest. It was great fun. And a nice preparation for my "important" audition on 23 Feb. Actually the entertainment company owner happened to be there and approached me to do work for him.

They picked 5 out of the 23 to go into the finals....I was one of them. 3rd March....

Wow!!! Now I know I will not be sleeping for the next 2 weeks!!!!

I made a video of my performance today and will post it somewhere here.

And i await peppered suppositories. Make that 2 months supply please.
    Hi @victortang,

They picked 5 out of the 23 to go into the finals....I was one of them. 3rd March....

Wow, congratulations, Victor. Please keep us informed. The "Supp" is on its way.

Doc
    Way to go @victortang !! Congrats!
    @cwcw thanks a lot for your comment. Well actually you get to swallow a bit of them when you spray so what you are saying quite right. I am back on track and resuming singing again soon :))))))

Thanks a lot @victortang and congrats on getting chosen! Tell us how it goes :)
    edited March 18
    @Vixen85 Hi I hope you all is well. I won the contest on 3 March in the Grand Final. No big deal. Here is my performance:
    Very cool @Vixen85 Glad to know that you'll be back soon! :)
    Thanks @cwcw :). That is awesome @victortang huge congrats to you! Haha just watched the link you are definitely a good entertainer as well you made me laugh!