Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Survivor - Eye of the tiger

Hello

Been training on this song for three months now. My band played this song on saturday but the audience didnt like it. I was trying to rock but the audience sat there silent. I dont know how my voice really sounds. What do you think? How does my High C sound?

https://www.smule.com/recording/survivor-eye-of-the-tiger/713794929_2833591330

Comments

• cwcwcwcw Posts: 1382.0 PRO
    @Simpan27 Ambitious song that you should wait to sing. Let me give you sincere, honest feedback.

This song is on my to-do list, but I simply don't have the range at this point. Unfortunately, you're in a similar situation, and your performance reminded me of how I would sound singing it. So what am I saying?

For much of the song you were flat or generally pitchy, especially during the chorus. Yes, you did get close or even hit the high note in "the eye", but it doesn't matter when the rest of the song just isn't on pitch. It also sounded like you were pushing or singing too loudly to hit many of those notes, which will pull them flat. Likewise, not enough support will also prevent you from solidly hitting those notes.

That said, you have a cool rock and roll voice, and you have a good feel for this type of music.

So, what can you do?
    1) Take this song off the set list (I was in an 80s band in the 80s and there were many songs like this that we just had to stop doing because they weren't performed well).
    2) Continue to study Ken's free youtube videos and work on our voice - exercises - 30 to 60+ minutes per day - if you can - and then sing songs. Study support, and work on the exercises / scales, Ken discusses.
    3) If you want to continue to work on this song on your own (not for live performance), do so at a lower key. At least a whole step or more lower than the original key. Then, as you gain more range, start bumping the key up over time.

None of this is a quick fix. You just have to invest the time to work on it. Like you, I'm learning, and I have a long way to go. Don't be discouraged by my comments.

Here's something to shoot for. Scott Redwing @scottredwingproject just finished his second year of KTVA with little or no prior singing experience. Look at the relaxed control he has over his voice. Get this, for as good as he is, also check out KTVA student Gaston @Gaston_Jauregui , who is even more advanced. These two guys are something to aspire to.

Chris
    @Simpan27 - significantly better than the other version...but still not where you should want it to be.

I'm all for rock-and-roll, and you have a pretty good Dio vibrato and that's all cool. But, the song is skreetchy in places, notes are still too flat, and you are really reaching to hit the C5 on the chorus, and you are flat on that same C5 on phrases like Went the "distance" and Don't lose your "grip".

That tells me those notes are presently too high for you - in chest voice - but perhaps not in head/mixed voice, if you wanted to try that. Again, I know that because I sound the same when I try to sing this song, although I think your singing range is just bit higher than mine.

I think you'd be surprised how much easier that song would be if you drop it down a whole step. You might not want to perform it that way live, and I understand that. In my day, we never wanted to change the key. So, when songs were out of our singing range, we just didn't perform them.

So, as Ken would likely say, Do you have tension in your throat when you sing? How is your support - the engine that drives your car? On this side of the speakers, it sounds like you have a lot of throat tension - I could be wrong. Likewise, your support mechanism is not where it should be....and that takes a lot of work. Throat tension and inadequate support are things I'm currently working on.

You have a lot cool things going, and the fact that you have a band is awesome. As you said, your audience didn't appreciate your live version of Eye of the Tiger. I can see why. Delight your audience with well played, well sung songs that are in your singing range. It will make a huge difference. Again, been there, done that.

If you feel like posting a different song in a lower key that's more comfortable for you to sing, I'd love to hear it.
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 219Member
    I know the C5 is a hard note. And me as a baritone it is hard. I tried to experiment with the note or something near C5 in different voices. The first one is falsetto the second is chest and the third some kind of belt.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1PzV3HhEUnw

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Mwlm1hdx5y

https://vocaroo.com/i/s14UpFXrDlJ1
    I hear you. I'm a baritone, too. I can only do C5 in head voice, at the moment. Hopefully with lots more KTVA I'll eventually get there. :)

So, hitting a C5 - and sustaining it - is one thing. Ken would says that it is very easy to sustain a note, and he uses the phrase "money note." I would agree. Hitting any given note in tune, and in a song is another matter, and that C5 problem still exists for you.

To an extent I'm happy to give some you feedback. I want you to succeed. You succeed by giving your audience what they want to hear. Well played, well sung songs. No one ever complains about that. I've already given you my advice on this particular song. I'd really like to hear something else you've done that's in a more manageable key, but that's up to you if you'd like feedback on that.
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 219Member
    Sure man can you give me feedback on this song?
    I think there is a C5 in there. I dont know if im using falsetto or not. What does it sound like?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0wrF0saryIC
    Glad you posted another tune to compare. What does that tell me? Let me first ask a question.
    How many days per week, on average, do you spend doing daily workouts as Ken describes - do not include singing songs?
    And on those days, how much time do you spend on average?