Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Hello did a very bad vocal cover of this song. Was one of my hardest songs to cover. But i tried.

https://www.smule.com/recording/judas-priest-painkiller-judas-priest/713794929_2881172386

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 7622.0 PRO
    edited April 12
    I am VERY familiar with this song.
    I was suprised when you managed to keep up with Halford's pace.
    The thing is, your voice doesn't sound controlled and all the words sound slurred. And I don't know if you could do this live.
    Now, if you did Ken's course and excercises you would be able to control it and powerfully.

Ken did this song... of course it's not the best in the world, not as much rasp, but Holy sh** man can he get up there. AND he's controlling everything.
    This is why we have to understand our voice, and grow it patiently. Or you'll blow your voice to pieces.

Nice attempt though.
  • kurzweilkurzweil Posts: 27Enrolled
    Hellou!

I think i will never touch this song 😅 it is so damn difficult. I think only way to survive is a sick attitude and light mixed voice coordination with healthy distortion. But dude, your sound is sick! In a good way! 😀 You are totally on right track i would say. I can hear the samekind of tones that Mr. Halford uses. Just takes a lot of time to shoot this song 110%.

For my opinion Ken uses more weight on the sound, its a matter of taste and there is a place to use both approach. Ken's version is actually even harder to sing, he keeps the chestvoice alive all the time 🤘

Keep up the good work! Rock!

- Esa
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 7622.0 PRO
    IF you can do it consistently.
    And you feel comfortable doing it. Then go ahead.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 1,155Moderator, Premium, 2.0 PRO
    What do your family and friends say about your singing?
    I heard your cover. I have heard many, many of the covers that you posted here.

My next question to you is if they think that you sound good, why are you asking here if you sound good? Are their opinions not important to you?
    edited April 14
    What is this supposed to be Simpan?
    And why haven't you answered my questions?
    I also noticed that a while back you said you had purchased the course.

You can sign up for the student areas here.

What volume are you on?
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 262Pro
    edited April 16
    Not sure if you'll see this comment, but I get the impression that some forum members are a tad frustrated that they offer advice that you don't seem to take. Instead, you choose to record and post song after song, most of which sound the same. Just an observation.

If that's fun for you, cool. But in my opinion, you are not improving in any significant way. It's nice if you enjoy singing. That's important. But if you want OTHER people to enjoy listening to you, you're going to have to make a change.

You keep asking if you sound good.

The honest answer is no, you do not. At all.

I PROMISE you I am not trying to be a jerk. It just worries me when I see stuff like "here's my cover, do you think it's good? I've heard it's good. Can I sing this live?" and I can tell other people are trying to be nice with their answers.

The problem is that not everyone you perform for will be that nice. I hate it when I see someone being criticized in public and I see their heart break as they hear criticism for the first time. It makes people want to give up. That's why I'm trying to be honest with you here, where everyone is relatively open-minded.

You don't sound good. However, you do have potential to be a good singer IF you apply yourself and find a capable teacher. This means spending a lot of time studying the fundamentals of singing and not just singing along to songs. I'm sorry, dude.

If a moderator thinks this is too mean, they can go ahead and delete this. However, he might not even read this. I want to help the guy out, but he seems to ignore 90% of responses.