Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Cover: Basket Case - Green Day

doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
Hi Divas, Hi Dudes,

recently @zowman commented on my collaborative demo with Youtube Ken that I should give this one a try. And so I did. I am now 9 months on the course and have never sung before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQpobtPSc1Q

Doc

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Very good @doc_ramadani I can hear your applying more advanced techniques to your singing, your recent songs are showing real progress. I like your version of basket case suits your voice and your pitch is much better now, still a little German dialect in your voice on this one but I am sure your working on that.

Good job

George
  • NathJ_2018NathJ_2018 2.0 PRO Posts: 241
    Very nice rendition of the song Doc, I too can see an improvement in your singing. I love the energy you put in your videos :)

Nath
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Very nice! You did a great job on this song. I had to listen to it more than once. :smile:
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    great job Marco, I was back in 1994!
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Great performance @doc_ramadani! Your fun is contagious! Nice job!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Great stuff man. All i can add to whats already is said that you look really relaxed and enjoying the performance so everything you've learned comes out naturally without extra attention.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Divas, Dudes,

thanks so much for all your nice comments. That feels really good. And no, I couldn't imagine that I would be able to sing a song like this after 9 months. Please do not forget that I was not able to sing a single note on pitch.

@blondiewales, thanks for your audio comment. And you put your finger directly into a wound that I wasn't able to get healed, yet. I would be so thankful if you could give me some advice in another discussion that I opened in the closed students' areas so that we get get a little bit more into detail:

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/11347/nasality-and-vowel-placement#

Doc
  • zowmanzowman STREAMING PRO Posts: 61
    Great job doc! I knew you could do it. Glad you had fun with this one. ☺️
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    From a no-singer to this in 9 months it's just incredible.
    Nice job man.
    This is a proof that KTVA followed with the right approach can transform your voice.
    AMAZING
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Very cool, Doc! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your performances. You are much more bold about putting yourself out there than I am. Perhaps I should take your and Victor's examples and try it myself. :smile:

I found Blondiewales' comments interesting. I don't disagree. I'm glad he took the time to share his thoughts.
  • ONICONIC Member Posts: 61
    Great stuff! Love it!
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Keep up the good work! see my comment in the other thread.
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @victortang - first paragraph - for sure.

It was this comment that encouraged me.
    p/s And I applaude you for SINGING here, not just TALK about singing.

there is probably something entertaining about an asian guy looking like an accountant singing with a rock style hahaha

That line is hilarious. I often refer to myself of the accountant looking guy who likes to rock. Few would believe that I sported a mullet pretty good back in the 80s. :)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Guess what I'm now going to be singing at karaoke tonight!!!
  • reallydannyreallydanny 2.0 PRO Posts: 32
    Immediately when I saw the title of this thread, I thought: "Oh shit, Docs got this!" before even hearing anything. It suits your voice quite well. Great job!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @blondiewales, ha, ha, ha, don't worry. I am not so delicate. I have 4 children and a wife. Since every day sore points are pressed (BEATEN!!!!). :smile:

Thanks for your help, man. I will carefully review your advice after work.

Doc
  • byaxebyaxe 2.0 PRO Posts: 15
    @doc_ramadani Hi! Great shot :) I love the fact that you can control (or it comes naturally?) your face and body while singing and this looks very consistent (may I say?) or logical.

It is funny to see other people doing the same (may I say mistakes?) as I do, so let me say those things I know in myself and can see in this video as what I would slightly change?)

And also, for sure I am not pretending that everything I am going to write, you "must do" or even "this is correct". Look at this as my personal opinion: what I would change for myself to like this cover even more :)

Last thing - maybe everything I will mention, was made by you in video on purpose and you wanted exactly what you've got.

(Every next item starts with "Maybe I am wrong, but I think...")

1. You're using too much glottal stops (consonants). Try to sing it without consonants first and them try adding them a little, more and more with every next take. I believe this will allow your sound to float through the phrases without stopping a lot.

2. I am hearing close-to-raised laryngeal position. It is not bad in the key you're singing this now, but I suggest trying the next experiment: Raise the key of the song on 3 semitones (or so) and try to sing it the same way. If you choke off this means your larynx is raising too much and throat closes (in the back). If not - that is totally ok and you're doing everything right :) I am talking about it because I think if you drop the larynx a bit, you will get a fuller and richer sound. But - it isn't needed everywhere, it is just my opinion here :)

By the way: You're pitch is great! It is the most important thing in singing and you're doing it perfect!)
    Hi Aleksei, @byaxe

many, many thanks for your comment and taking your time on me. You are absolutely on the right track with your hints. I opened up a new discussion to get feedback from seasoned singers and they pointed me to the same direction. If you want to see what they told me join this discussion.

And your comment on my pitch hit my heart. I do not think that it is perfect but it improved a lot during my 9 months on KTVA. Before I started I was not able to sing one single note on pitch. And to read that you like it really means a lot to me. I had to work a lot on it. The key for me was and is support. Thanks for that motivating comment, mate.

Aleksei, I invite you to become an active member of this community. From your video I can see that you take this journey very serious. If you do, you have come to the right place. Get involved and squeeze the most out of this course. You will meet very, very nice people here in the students' areas.

Doc
    Divas, Dudes,

I am really a little bit overwhelmed by all of your nice comments. I might get a little bit sappy (funny word that I learned form my friend @HuduVudu ). :smile:

I thank you all for SO much encouragement and invaluable advice. I want to take this chance to thank all the nice students here for their help and ongoing support. Mates, you are great. I never expected that I would be able to come so far in this short period of time. Some of you might still remember my first poor recordings at the beginning. @Sophia do you remember my christmas dressing. :D ha, ha, ha - and you were so nice to me.

And we have so many experienced students ( @Gaston_Jauregui, @blondiewales, @Furious_Phil, @bentk, @tinaalcorace, @Streeter ... and so many others) that are helping new students. Mates, isn't that great?

And I also would like to take this opportunity to thank Ken for granting us this great learning environment. Since I got involved a little bit in the internals of the forums I know that Ken pays THOUSANDS (!!!) of dollars per year to offer us these forums. Ken, thank you very much for that.

Bob you are unrivaled,

Doc

PS.: @Sophia, I already chose my next christmas song. You will be surprised and hopefully like my dressing. :smile: