Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Isovox

sagemacgsagemacg Posts: 2252.0 PRO
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting something like the isovox. My apartment walls are paper thin and I don't currently feel comfortable practicing at home. I do lots of quiet scales and such but I save my real workouts for when I'm in a jam space, which is only 2-3 times a week, and add$ up.

A quick search revealed that a couple of members have used this, but I'm wondering if the current membership has any feedback, reviews or opinions on whether this would dampen sound enough to keep my neighbours happy? Youtube reviews haven't convinced me yet...

Thanks!

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 1,636Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Search the forums more in depth for solutions people have used to solve this problem. I am sure that there are much cheaper solutions than this. Even just a box with acoustic foam will be cheaper and probably better than this.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 361Pro
    If the IsoVox is what I'm thinking, it's a great tool... But not necessarily for sound isolation. It might be, but I don't know. Stuff like that is designed to keep outside sound from coming in, and not necessarily inside sound from coming out. It's a budget solution to one of the supposedly biggest issues in recording vocals and recording in general: acoustic treatment.

If you need to silence yourself, something called the "belt box" used to do the trick for me. I used it in college and never had complaints from any of my roommates. HOWEVER, whether or not it instilled bad habits is another discussion.
  • sagemacgsagemacg Posts: 2252.0 PRO
    @blondiewales That's interesting, thank you. I watched some youtube reviews of the beltbox and it seemed from the camera mic like it didn't actually dampen that much... but that's not necessarily indicative of what you'd hear from the next apartment over.

I'll keep sleuthing. Thanks for the input!
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 361Pro
    @sagemacg Oh yeah. You can trust me on that. I've always been pretty loud, and my roommate one wall away from me couldn't hear me when I had it on. It takes off like 20 decibels from a singing voice, which equates to 1/4th the volume.
  • sagemacgsagemacg Posts: 2252.0 PRO
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 1,636Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    edited May 1
    Ok this is a very interesting approach ... relevant part @3:40

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,693Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Wow, that is a great idea - we have a walk-in wardrobe with rarely used garments. May I should try this for my next recordings.