Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi from the Netherlands

RutgerRutger Member Posts: 4
edited June 2019 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hi, Rutger from The Netherlands here. Just turned 40 and have been serious about singing for a few months now. I thought that after 30 years of making music it would be nice to finally accompany myself instead of other singers.

I was a great stutterer when I grew up, to a point where it gave me social fear and isolation. Allthough the stuttering and much of the fear went away through intensive voice therapy, my voice had never been a good friend of mine. I realized that the main reason why I am often still struggeling with social stuff might not even be so much of a social fear, but actually a real, physical vocal blokkade I am experiencing.

And what better way to learn to use my voice right, than to study my voice and learn to sing?
Untill now I have been reading and practicing all the basics about how the voice works and how to use it right, and a whole new world has opened up for me! And my voice is actually getting better. At first I couldn’t sing for 20 minutes without straining my voice, now I can hold up to an hour and it is so much fun!

As a guitarist I have been a fan of Ken Tamplin when I was a kid, so finding out he has a vocal academy really got my attention. I am learning so much from your free video’s and am saving up for the course! Meanwhile I thought I could just hang out here for a while, see what you are all up to and get inspired :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice to hear from you, @Rutger !

I think you will find that using your voice for singing more and more will only help you to become more comfortable with your speaking voice, and certainly you will find more enjoyment as a musician to be able to become a singer, rather than just a player!

Welcome to the forums!

Bob
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the forum mate! I'm from Australia and just a couple years younger than yourself and been on the course less than a year. I never really sang before this and what it has taught me already is beyond what I thought I could do. Your saved pennies will be absolutely with it! Looking forward to hearing you around 😀
  • RutgerRutger Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2019
    Thank you!

Well my first goal is to actually get a vibrato out,. I have never been able to produce a vibrato sound... The muscles in my throat used to be too tight up and my breath high up in the chest... I have been focussing on just getting everything relax and feeling natural at first, getting to know all these bodyparts and learning that I can actually have control over them. Now once and a while I can hear/feel an accidental vibrato, so I am getting there! :)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Rutger, @Rutger

a very warm Welcome of a neighbor from Germany. I have found here a friend from the Netherlands: @maximgottmer. You will meet a lot of nice people here.

Doc
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Welkom Rutger!

Really good to hear that you are making an effort with the free videos. There are many tutorials on youtube, make sure to check out the one about abdominal support! He explains a lot of the fundamentals on his channel already, but the course will guide you step-by-step and provide MUCH more information.

It takes time, dedication, focus and patience, but it's worth it. I like to compare it to learning an instrument, except it's a little more difficult to follow your progress.

When starting, it's all about the fundamentals. You need to build correct muscle memory, and build from that. Naturally, that's exactly what the course wants you to do, but it's good to keep in mind regardless. Ken probably says it many of his youtube videos as well.

Enjoy the forum, and see you around!

Ben
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Hi Rutger, Fijn dat je erbij bent. we'll meet again. Groet Maxim
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @Rutger Welcome man!
    I hope you have fun with us in the forums!
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi Rutger ... Welcome!
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Welcome from USA, Rutger.

A guitarist for 35+ years myself, I decided at nearly 50 that it was time to purchase KTVA after doing the free stuff off and on for 5 years. Like you, I wanted to improve my voice. In the 6 months on the course I am seeing good, steady growth.

Glad to have you here.

Chris
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Welcome @Rutger :) That's an inspiring story you've shared! I'm glad you're joining us along your journey :)