Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Trying to find my mixed voice, encountering some issues.

Hey, I’ve been recently trying to bridge the gap between my chest voice and my head voice, and I am a little stuck. When I try to reach higher notes, as usual there is a crack to the head voice to get the higher notes, but if I do some pushing with my chest voice, I can actually reach the notes that I can usually only reach in my head voice, using my chest, but if I do it that way, it doesn’t necessarily hurt, but it kind of strains a little, and if I do it for some time it kind of wears out my throat rather fast. I was just wondering if I was going about it the wrong way? (When I do it, my tongue kind of comes out of my mouth a little and it feels a little like my throat is shrinking). (Also, when I do it this way, there is no crack).

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    but if I do some pushing with my chest voice, I can actually reach the notes that I can usually only reach in my head voice,
    You are still in your chest voice if you are doing this. This isn't technically bridging.
    it doesn’t necessarily hurt, but it kind of strains a little, and if I do it for some time it kind of wears out my throat rather fast.
    Bringing up all of this weight from your chest voice requires a lot of work. Don't get me wrong this is what high level singers do but know this this takes a lot of physical stamina to do, and to get that kind of stamina you will need to work out a lot i.e. do a lot of singing/practicing. People don't often understand that singing is a sport. It takes a high level of physicality to make it work.
    I was just wondering if I was going about it the wrong way?
    Possibly. You need to make sure that you have your fundamentals under you solidly before you try to do things like that. It is like trying to squat 400lbs, you better have proper form or you're going to get hurt.
  • JackW7645JackW7645 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for the fast response! I'll focus more on strengthening the rest before trying to push like that then, I had no idea that I was actually bringing the weight up.