Home Vocal Health and Wellness

VOCAL PARESIS - ANY ADVICE?

Hello!

I'm 27 and have been taking singing lessons (approximately 1 time per week) for the past three years. About two months ago, I started noticing a decrease in my vocal range and stamina. Around that time, I was singing a lot of RHCP songs, and when I hung out with my friend, he told me my voice sounded strange. I agreed, and decided to go see an ENT. The ENT scoped my vocal folds, and he said they looked fine - no vocal nodules or polyps. He did say, however, that the right fold was not moving. I am going to get an extensive exam via stroboscope next week, but I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who has experienced this issue. Do you have any advice on how to recover? I have been taking it pretty easy vocally since the diagnosis, but I can't stop thinking about singing, and I want to get back to it. I suppose I'm just going to have to have more patience.

Thank you all :)

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @reckerso,

my name is Marco and I am a Medical Doctor. I started to learn Singing around one year ago.

You seem to have a very thoroughly caring ENT. That is very good. I am sure he will check your thyroid gland, too.

Please come back and tell us what your ENT found out. Until then I want to tell you: KEEP CALM.

Doc
  • reckersoreckerso Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Hey Doc,

Thanks for your response :) Yes, they are taking good care of me. They already conducted a CT scan with dye, and all results came back normal! I am now waiting for the strobe so that the pathologist can help recommend rehabilitation. It seems that this is idiopathic. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Ryan