Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Never sing in front of anyone?

Hi! I’m new here, and I’m so excited! Anyway, I’ve been singing for about three years, and I can’t bring myself to sing in front of anyone. Not even my mom! Is there even a chance of it getting better if it’s that severe?

Answers

• cwcwcwcw Posts: 3012.0 PRO
    Hi, RosieG.

Yes, you can overcome the "fear" of singing in front of others. Is it easy? Only you can answer that, but regardless, it will take some work.

Just curious, do you have a general fear of presenting or talking in front of a group? I'm trying to understand whether this a general fear or whether it's specific to singing.

What do you fear about singing in front of others?

I don't have a magic wand for your here, but here are some things to think about.

It is much easier for me to sing in front of non-parents and family than to sing in front of family. I'm just wired that way, even to this day, when it comes to singing in front of my wife and kids. I have plenty of experience singing experience in a gigging band, church, etc. The small family settings just aren't a fun place for me to sing. :) So, perhaps that's the same for you.

I also happen to be a perfectionist, so putting myself "out there" and open to criticism is particularly hard for me...until I perfect whatever it is I'm doing. However criticism, or should we say critiquing, given out of care and concern for the other person is a good thing. That's one way we grow. But it's still hard to hear "bad criticism", especially when it comes to something so personal as our voice. I had a lot of struggles with that when I was middle school.

Looking back, I suppose I overcame my fear through time, having supportive friends, and really working hard at improving my skills so as to create something pleasing for myself and others to hear. Keep in mind that a "pleasing" sound varies with age and skill level. For example, a 5 year old may make his violin sound like a cat is being skinned, but if he's genuinely working hard at learning the instrument, then that sound is "pleasing" given his skill level - as hair raising as that might actually sound. :)

You need to start somewhere with coming out of this performance shell. Perhaps start with recording yourself, and then asking others who genuinely love you for feedback. I'm guessing mom would love to do that. :)

Perhaps my friends @Sophia and @LoneWolfRogue can share their experiences.

Chris
  • DogMeatDogMeat Posts: 1242.0 PRO
    @RosieG i think the only way to learn that (too) is to start small, and go from there. It something that you really need to get used to, if you're like most of us. Confidence comes with experience. The more you do something, the less you think about it and trust yourself.
  • RosieGRosieG Posts: 52.0 PRO
    @cwcw Thanks so much for the response! I’m generally ok with talking in front of a lot of people. I have a background in theater, so that was never a problem. I think I might be like you in that my family makes me nervous!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,453Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @RosieG,

for me it is the opposite: when I prepare for my singing practice my family gets nervous. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Doc
  • LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue Posts: 2332.0 PRO
    First of all welcome to the group second of all when it comes to singing it's okay to be totally nervous but that's why Ken always says a singer is only a singer if you have the guts to be one and in this case for you to be taking the course proves that you got guts so right now best thing to do is to just start small try singing in front of yourself for a while that way it'll be like you're singing a person but really you're singing to your reflection in the mirror. Then take the next step sing in front of your pet or a very close friend and then slowly build up from there you're talking to the queen of low self confidence so you are not alone when it comes to feeling this way but I am here to guarantee you that it does get easier with time, patience and your confidence will slowly grow.

I've grown a lot since I started this course and you will too.

Rogue
  • samw2019samw2019 Posts: 852.0 PRO
    Hi I started training recently in KVTA but I've been singing untrained before that and think it's OK to be nervous before singing in front of anyone. For me I'm definately more nervous to sing in front of family than anyone else for some reason. I've done one or two open mic nights singing in a band and sang backing vox at gigs proper and the nerves reminds me of a roller coaster ride. Waiting in the line to go on and getting nerves thinking "why did I sign up for this, terrible idea!" then the nerves before the first big drop on the ride after getting on, like the first song, then adrenaline kicks in and it's a thriller. Then afterwards I want to go straight back on and do it again. It's the same for playing an instrument live but singing especially.