Home Vocal Health and Wellness

What to do when you get stomach acid on your folds?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to allievate the issues caused by stomach acid getting on your folds? The other night I went to dinner with my wife and then we stopped for Karaoke after that but I burped before my performance which brought up that stomach acid and then my folds felt like there were on fire. Nothing helps! Drinking water, trying to clear my voice, nothing. My performance was so bad because of this. Is there anything we can do when we end up getting acid on our folds before a performance?

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Have you seen Ken's youtube video on singers diet? I'm sure he talks about stomach acid in that. I think he gave some info on sprays and other tools if there is an immediate situation like what you said. Also in his last youtube video he mentioned releasing a new video on diet soon which will be great. If you had a meal and straight went to sing afterwards, it could be it was too soon to settle properly which affects singing and belching. Awesome that you went up for a karaoke though, and hope the next one doesn't get afflicted by reflux.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @samw2019 Thanks! I wasn't aware of this video so let me see if I can try to find it. As far as Karaoke goes yeah, I've been going about once a week for about a month now (four times). I figure the only way to get over the fear is to just get up in front of people and sing so that's what I've been doing.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    HI @Chris82,

very good to read that you go out and sing in front of people. When I uploaded my first video (Christmas 2018) I was very nervous what people might say about it - meanwhile I do not think about what other people might think. I understand that every recording I do can't be anything else as a snapshot of my actual learning process. But ... I am improving.

On the acid reflux. If that happened and your vocal folds react with an acute inflammation you are knocked out until the inflammatory reaction healed. So, it is best not to have to heavy meals before Karaoke. And be careful, also alcohol may provoke acid reflux. Drink water.

Doc