Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Vocal Health and vocal cord surgery prevention

so i read this article ( https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-do-stars-like-adele-keep-losing-their-voice )
and the way the article was written it was very unclear to me how to promote good vocal health or what to do to prevent vocal cord damage. I'm just a beginner so i want to start off with good and healthy techniques.
Can someone address how Kens methodology helps prevent damage to vocal cords, or how it promotes good vocal health?
I am concerned about this because other "teachers" (youtube etc) say things, or tell you how to do a vocal workout of various sorts and i don't know if i should trust them, how to recognize dangerous techniques, or what is it about Kens techniques that prevent vocal cord damage?...

Thanks
xiedofu

Comments

• xiedofuxiedofu Posts: 8Member
    ooops... i just saw the "Vocal Health and Wellness" section of this forum... i think this post should have been posted there
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,627Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @xiedofu,

Ken teaches us every aspect of singing with good technique. There are many, many things that contribute to good vocal health. Are you planning to buy a course?

Doc
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,627Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    PS.: I moved your post to the correct category.
  • WigsWigs Posts: 570Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Basically Ken's course teaches you how to sing with power and finesse without using too much air. He also teaches how to use support to achieve awesome sound. There is alot of stuff about what to do before and after a gig to keep good vocal health as well. I've been on the course for a year and so far everything makes sense and I've never felt any hoarseness from following his instructions.
    I guess like he says, the proof is in the singing 🙂
  • SophiaSophia Posts: 356Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    @xiedofu Check this link. It is a search result for the videos that Ken has done specifically on vocal health. It should answer most of your questions: https://www.youtube.com/user/kentamplin/search?query=vocal+health

As for who to trust, you can follow Ken's advice on that by researching people. Do these teachers have a proven track record of singing themselves, over decades, so you can see that their methods haven't caused damage? Do they show students demonstrating what they've taught, so you have proof that they can teach techniques correctly?