Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals cover) with video

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals cover) with video

Hey folks, I've been meaning to start a YouTube channel, and a lot of people here were super supportive about it... :)

So here I go... First singing video. I know video quality is very meh, I was recording on my phone, and I'm planning to get a real camera soon, but I gotta pace myself financially. :D

@doc_ramadani @Vocality @Sophia @blondiewales @Wigs @cwcw @DogMeat @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @d1g2w3 @samw2019 @Rick_amateur @omkarpancham @maximgottmer @Furious_Phil @bonvie56

Special nudge to @Diego, I know his version is better, but I can always try... :)

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 Posts: 2652.0 PRO
    Hi Lana,
    That was great well done! And you seemed pretty confident on the camera too with good style, well done, peace.
  • WigsWigs Posts: 710Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Good stuff! Love your vibrato🙂 if your phone records at 1080 I wouldn't worry about a camera till alot further down the track. There are apps that let you control the phone camera like a DSLR for full manual control.
  • bonvie56bonvie56 Posts: 162.0 PRO
    Super! :smiley: You have really nice tone and interpretation.
    Ok kids...I gotta be honest here. This brought back a lot of memories because I was 8 years old when it came out...1964. I had been taking piano and organ lessons for the next door neighbor lady and this was the first rock song I ever learned. Used to hammer it out over and over again on my parents Hammond B3 until it drove my Mom nuts!
    Thanks for the memory Lana!
    ~~Dan
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer Posts: 1992.0 PRO
    Good work Lana.
  • coffeecrankcoffeecrank Posts: 1962.0 PRO
    Thank you, guys! Definitely leave your critique too, I'm here to learn. ^_^

@bonvie56 Ha! My mom generally hates classic rock, it's too loud for her. :D
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,926Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi Lana,

well done. Congratulations to your first YT video. I am one of the first subscribers of your channel.

There are some things you can improve on:

Carefully watch your pitch on the high notes and when coming down from them. Support really strong because you tend to go flat there.

Don't crank you Behringer Ultragain too much. The recordings of our last collaboration were really squashed by the compression of the tube preamp. If you record your vocals too hot (loud) you will loose a lot of dynamics. It is better to do the volume adjustments later on when mixing the track. So I would recommend to you to have a look into the tutorials Ari ( @DogMeat ) sent you. You will get much better end results if learn some recording and mixing techniques.

I am very curious with what you will come up next, Lana.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani Thanks Marco! Yay, subscribers. :D I agree on recording, it could be much better, I'll definitely work on it. This is why YouTube is great for keeping track of progress. :) I'll carefully watch the pitch, I think I went flat from taking too many takes of this song. :D Voice got tired a bit.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 417Pro
    Hey. I dig the song. The intro lines are the best, up until "and it's been." Then you lose some resonance and go a bit flat. You do have a nice note at the end of the choruses, though. "One" "Orleans" "Drunk." Etc. Generally, if you can't find vibrato on a certain note, you might want to re-examine your placement.

Keep up the good singing.
    @blondiewales Yeah, I also went +2 keys because low notes were too low for me in the original key (in which case I'd go super hoarse on low notes and it wouldn't sound good). Thank you! :)
    @coffeecrank how low can you comfortably go?
    @blondiewales I don't really know notes from memory, but if you know "Locomotive Breath", then I'd say the lowest there is when I start getting problems a bit (but can still do it).
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 934Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    edited October 8
    Sounds pretty good Lana!
    Good job.
    If I would give any feedback it would be to change the vowels you are using on those specific high notes.
    I feel they are making the note harder than it should be for you. You start off with a good placement below, but as you go higher you start to lose that placement and you lose all that valuable resonance this song needs.
    This song needs a lot of space to be able to make the same '' powerful'' sound, without having to do much.
    If you notice in the original usually, the vowels he uses are mostly placed between Ah and OH' s for the high notes.
    @blondiewales @Diego Guys, I'm a little confused about placement... What is it exactly? Do you mean the larynx or something else?

@Diego Yessss, I really need to make the sound more deep and not so thin at the top, I'll try to emulate the same resonance I get in my mid range.
    edited October 8
    I've never read a singing textbook, so I don't know the exact definition. However, placement for me is where the note resonates. In this song, you probably feel it resonating above your brow in the first lines. As you go higher, it kinda drops into your throat a bit, which is usually undesirable. In very broad terms, you can say you "place" a note in the chest or head, but it can get much more specific than that.

Placement happens whenever we phonate. When we hum, it's usually naturally placed in the nose. If you get Diego on video chat or something, he could probably demonstrate it for you pretty well.

In my opinion, good singers almost always keep the same placement within the same phrases. If you end up sounding like multiple singers when you don't intend to, you may want to work on consistency of placement.
    edited October 8
    @blondiewales So I tried singing "There is a house in New Orleans" now, and I think it resonated in my nose or close to it, definitely somewhere at the front of my face. But I think I get what you're saying and how it should stay the same, I might have to slowly enunciate each word to understand the placement.
  • DogMeatDogMeat Posts: 2132.0 PRO
    edited October 8
    Great effort @coffeecrank . Heard some flat high-notes, but all and all it was an enjoyable performance. Lower the gain like Marco proposed, so it does not clip (go over 0db). I used to do the same mistake before.

I also subscribed :smile:
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 934Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Well, like said before...
    Placement is basically where you place your note, and where it resonates.
    Placement can change how your voice sounds. If your placement is very forward and high, it may sound nasal, etc..
    You don´t want to drastically change your placement everytime, otherwise you´ll sound different every phrase you do, try to find a placement that does it for you.

edited October 8
    @Diego I'll try, thanks for the tips! I kinda never really thought about it but now will try to focus on it more.

@DogMeat Hehe, welcome! I'll post new videos sometime, gotta work on Reaper skills. :D
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl Posts: 702.0 PRO
    @coffeecrank Hi Lana, great to see you do another cover and also good that the more advanced members could already give you some valuable feedback. I think you would have been a little more credible, maybe if you had changed "boy" into "girl" in the line "it's been the ruin of many a poor boy" but I don't want to critique too much, all in all this is a very respectable effort and I'm looking forward to what is yet to come.
    @Raphael_Hussl Haha, this is even funnier when I sing Joe Cocker's "Unchain My Heart". :D Yeah, many great tips, I'll keep posting covers once in a while. :)