Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Pentatonix - Hallelujah (Dogmeat, doc_ramadani and coffeecrank collaboration)

DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
Hello friends,

We are happy to present you this collaboration track that was both challenging and fun. Because Pentatonix is a Capella band, this one needs a bit of explanation. We sang the lead voices, and put our mark on the background. Rhythms and choirs are mostly from the backing tracks, because deciphering them, recording and producing would have been too complex of a task at this stage. It was my first time producing other voices that my own, so that makes it extra special project. Huge thanks to Marco for proposing this, singing the 2nd part twice and helping being extra pair of ears, and Lana for those gorgeous female vocals that make the track whole. It was a pleasure working with you both.

Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JENUDCJPq9isQ2ax338MpKZ7oh3kr25H/view?usp=sharing

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughN3kR2t8Y

Pinging @doc_ramadani @coffeecrank @Diego @cwcw @Wigs @blondiewales @samw2019 @d1g2w3 @Rick_amateur @Gaston_Jauregui @Vocality @Sophia @maximgottmer @Klaus_T @Ken Tamplin and everyone i forgot to tag (Marco will add)

Comments

• maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Oh wow what a surprise! and what a proffesional sounding @coffeecrank ! Great work. I'm a big fan of pentatonix great a-capella arrangements they make. Thanks mates!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited October 2019
    Dear Ari,

you put a lot of work into this project. I want to thank you. It was a great pleasure to do this one with Lana and you. Great work on the mixing. I think we should do another one, shouldn't we? Lana deserves some challenges. :smiley:

Doc
  • Wow, that was gorgeous! That style suits you all so well. Awesome job! Lana, your pitch control is great!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hey Ari, I just realized that you did the ending so well - WOW, that was awesome. And thank you so much for putting so much energy into the mix. You put all of our voices together so well at the end of the song. What does it cost to hire you?

Marco
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Wow! What a very nice surprise all of you. Well done! Thank you for sharing. I will be sharing this with my daughters as they are PTX fans. :)

Chris
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Fantastic that was really good @DogMeat @doc_ramadani @coffeecrank, great sound and like the way it was put together with good harmonies. Alot of work to get it at this level Kudos to all involved.

George :)
    edited October 2019
    Good morning, Hampton, @blondiewales

I think that pitch correction has to be done very subtle and it seems to be a real art. A friend of mine, he is now professor for music sciences, used to live in New York for a while. He told me that he was working on the Lead Vocals of a very famous pop star (let's say it was one of the Disney club generation) for ONE WEEK. It was a while ago in an era in witch the tuning software wasn't as good as it seems to be today. But even today you will need high quality software to do it in a way that it is not noticeable. But if you know how to use it it seems to be very powerful. I saw a video demonstrating a software called ReVoice Pro which aligns a choir of 4 singers within seconds and the result sounds really natural.

Doc
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    edited October 2019
    @blondiewales you are somewhat spot on. I used Melodyne (the tuning software) to fix couple of mishit notes for each of us. I would say i had like 5, where Doc and Lana 3 each. Left a lot of room for natural singing, so there is a lot of error included in the package. Melodyne is cool software because it shows you an analyze of each note and how much they are off the dead center. Everyone did pretty good on pitch. Most of the (right) notes where between -15 - +15 cent from center. but then missed some notes or sang them in wrong key. Those are good to fix because it makes the track so much better. I just got the software as part of Nectar3, so i didn't have previous experience with it. What bothers me in the mixdown is that all the karaoke background stuff is tuned into perfect pitch out of shop, so it kind of makes it sound plastic now and then. I've also noticed that sometimes Nectar3's dynamic eq anp processing chain can make a unnatural flavors to sound but tried to avoid that.

For anyone wondering the vocal processing was like this:
    - even out the volume of vocals
    - fix timing issues (where possible)
    - fix notes that sounded badly off scale (Melodyne)
    - Apply fx (Nectar 3 without pitch correction): eq, gate, de-esser, eq2, compressor
    - Apply reverb on all vocals (ReaVerb)
    - Mastering Ozone 8

Harmonies at the end are cut&paste work from the previous parts. I used to do electronic music, so that came kind of naturally :smiley:

@doc_ramadani LOL at hiring
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Very good job guys!

@DogMeat good job mate, you don't really seem to have a problem in that range. Nice mixing as well man, good job!

@doc_ramadani You are getting better doc! Like @blondiewales said, you are articulating the words in a way that the consonants don't get TOO much in your way. Nice balance.

@coffeecrank Lana... the improvement you have made is amazing already. You sound really good, not even kidding. Placement sounds a LOT more consistent than House of The Rising sun. You do however, lose a little of support and resonance on some high notes and I honestly think it was just a matter of not enough space and your placement shifted a bit, a little more openess and it would've rang haha.

Good job you three!
    I don't even care it had pitch correction, sounded good haha.
    @Diego: the most challenging thing in this one was to manage my air because I had to tame my chest voice and to shed the weight. At some spots you might probably hear that I am nearly out of air.

@blondiewales: thanks for your nice comment - I still have a veeeeery long way to go but it is good to hear that my articulation is getting better.

@DogMeat: WHAT? You had to correct my pitch??? - I didn't notice that. I thought I did so great! :joy:
    @Wigs might, as always :smile: , missed his tag for this one. :joy:
    @doc_ramadani just few off-notes. Your overall pitch was great
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Nice one guys good job, thats really well done. How did you go about the harmonies may I ask?
    Yes there where separate male & female backing tracks, and we only did the lead parts
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    No probs the leads blended into the harmonies anyway which is a good sign
  • AlejandroSaksidaAlejandroSaksida 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    My God I listened to this so many times already. I LOVE every bit of it! I loved the beginning, the whole energy of it, the variation and great sound coffeecrank's voice introduces, the editing, the timing, the harmonies, the whole magic of it!

The voice in the intro makes me think of Rafiki from Lion King :smiley:

Cogratulations to all of you! I enjoyed this a lot! Thanks for making a great piece!