Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Like A Stone - Audioslave Cover 2018 vs 2019

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
@doc_ramadani @HuduVudu @victortang @Vocality @Klaus_T @Sophia @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin @Giraffy @Spyk @DogMeat @Moviefan2k4 @Claude77 @andrew_walker @Mysti @bentk @dvarovic @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @Caw_Im_A_Raven @Warner @d1g2w3 @coffeecrank @maximgottmer @Goldtaff @Hollywood @GuyChan @Moftem @Wildmanofthewoods @sealrose

So I wanted to redo this to track my progress over the course of one year.
Hope you enjoy the new one haha.
This song got so much easier to sing now.

This is from 1 year ago from when I was half decent:

The old discussion.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/8748/like-a-stone-by-diego#

And now this is 2019:

https://audiomack.com/song/diego-ktva/like-a-stone-audioslave-cover-2019

@highmtn Do you remember helping me with this ? haha.
@havener I know you did a cover of this.

Edit: For some reason the 2018 one didn't get copyright striked, but the 2019 did. Soundcloud hates me :cry: .

Comments

• Options
    DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Great progress on the track, and your sound has matured
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Wow, what a difference. To be honest, 1 year ago I thought, wow, this guy from Honduras is very good. :smile: No, you you weren't. But today ... hm

Great progress, Diego, I am happy for you.

Doc
  • Options
    @coffeecrank Agreed, determination is what makes you get better. No amount of talent can beat discipline.

@DogMeat Thanks Ari!

@doc_ramadani Oooh the Diego from the past's heart is broken :heartbreak: . Diego from the present is happy, thank you Doc!
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    PS.: I miss your anime icons from the soundcloud uploads. :joy:
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Are you sure that's you in the first one?? 😉 I don't ever remember you struggling with a song before, maybe I was too inexperienced to tell back then but man, this time round so much more consistency throughout the song and I love how you put the @havener touch on it. Love the way the second "room" was sung.

I'm hoping to put out my out before and after soon.

Great progress!
  • Options
    Thanks man!
    And yes, that Diego 2018 for ya 🤢🤮
    It was SO much easier this time round, literally felt no tension.

For the '' rooms'' I actually mixed live version and how Chris did it live sometimes. I tried to get every note as resonant as I could in the choruses. They really felt ' 'in place''

I am awaiting your before and after 😊.
  • Options
    GoldtaffGoldtaff Pro Posts: 93
    Awesome Diego, I really enjoyed that m8. I'm a big Chris Cornell fan and I thought you did a really good job on that I cant give you an in depth look and explain as I'm new but I enjoyed it well done.
  • Options
    MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    edited October 2019
    @Diego This is one of the few songs you sang that I do not know, but I listened to both of your versions. Wow! What a difference a year makes. You sounded good last year. This year you sound pro. Way to go.
  • Options
    Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @Diego That's really a great process! It already wasn't that bad in the beginning but now it's much better. On some points where the earlier version was still a little shaky it sounds much more effortless now. But is that enough for you? :smiley: How long do you practice on an average day?
  • Options
    @Goldtaff Hahaha glad you enjoyed man! Give me any criticism or feedback you want man. I'm here to learn as much as you!
  • Options
    @Mysti Thank you so much! It really feels nice to look back and see what sheer determination does. And I am not stopping anytime soon. Pro is just the beginning haha.
  • Options
    @Raphael_Hussl Thanks man! Of course this is not enough for me! I already have things I don't like about the new recording that I can fix, a few words that sounded a bit weird to me. All that I have to work on, it never stops!
    And that's part of the fun of singing, you always have something to do and work on! Infinite possibilities.

I practice a LOT, I literally sing every day for at least 1 or 4 hours. You can ask @blondiewales as I talk to him on the regular.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    "I can confirm. When Diego breathes, his inhales are diaphragm stretches and his exhales are LAH scales."

🤣
  • Options
    Well there you go. All the proof you need.
  • Options

I can confirm. When Diego breathes, his inhales are diaphragm stretches and his exhales are LAH scales.

And he uses vowel mods when he sneezes.

Doc
  • Options
    Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @blondiewales @Diego Well, that sounds really great! At first I thought that probably to be able to reach such a level one would literally have to practice all day long without having the time to do anything else but 1-4 hours is a good amount of practice time that you can also afford if you don't have the luxury to go all in. Yes, I know this problem with listening to one's own recordings, your own ears can be very unforgiving.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    @Raphael_Hussl Yes, as long as you dedicate SOME part of your day to singing you will be constantly improving in some way. It's like a piggy bank, if you put money in every day, at the end of the month or year you will accumulate a lot of money (in this case experience).

I also try to sing songs I've recorded as if I was singing live for some further practice. Usually by now, most of the Queen songs I can sing live.
  • Options
    Also. I always record a lot of short voice clips during the day. Just to experiment with different things. I play them all back to see which one I like the most.
  • Options
    FretlessTheBardFretlessTheBard 2.0 PRO Posts: 92
    Late to the party, but wow, @Diego, you sound great!
  • Options
    Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    You are making good progress!