Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Cervical Spine Surgery Post Op Issues

KikiKiki Enrolled Posts: 11

Hi Ken, Kiki here....been out of the loop on the forum and videos due to computer issues but all is up and running again. What has transpired....Last February I had that tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy and now just a month ago had another big surgery. I had to have a cervical decompression and fusion on Jan. 14th. The doctor goes in through the front of the neck slightly over the "Adam's Apple" and off to the left side just a bit. To get to the spine they shove over the trachea and esophagus. I got scoped a few days ago to see the condition of my vocal cords. There was no damage or nodules to be seen (I am extremely concerned with their status at all times..TeeHee). The ENT did say that the area is red and inflamed. He also pointed out that the titanium plate was placed slightly above the voice box (He showed me on the x-ray cuz it seems as though I can "feel" it when my cords rise and fall). So here is what I am experiencing...

It feels as though there is a ball or lump sitting on my vocal cords all the time. When I begin my warm ups my larynx gets tired and sore right away, even before I finish with the tongue exercise. This, off course, takes place anytime I just do some soft singing also (whether it be head voice or chest). Furthermore, I seem to have little to no control over my cords. Trying to make them move up and down the scale is tough; and holding any kind of note just gives off a shaky uncontrolled sound. I sound like a cat under a rocking chair! I can't stand to hear myself never mind doing my exercises around anyone else!

I was wondering what to do? Do I only do a few exercises? Do only exercises and no singing? Exercises and only sing within a lower to medium range? What do I do...not being to sing is killing me!! Thank you so much, Ken!!

Comments

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446

Hi Kiki,

I am sorry to hear about your physical issues.

Is there any way you can send me a sample of your singing so I can hear what is going on?

The Pharyngeal tonsil and the orifice of the auditory tube sit directly above the nasal wall of the pharynx. The only way you would have a feeling of something sitting on your cords is if there was swelling in the ventricular fold (directly above the larynx) or the thyroid cartilage (also above the the larynx). Or swelling in the trachea just below the larynx.

Strengthening of the arytanoid and cricoid muscles will help relieve and strengthen this but only with monsterous abdominal support.

Send me a sample so I can hear what is going on.

-Ken

• KikiKiki Enrolled Posts: 11
    I will get on that by the end of this weekend. Thank you so much; this sucks! Ki ~