Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Greetings from a British Songwriter

eRazedeRazed Volume 1 Posts: 5
edited March 2013 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike, and I got the KTVA programme a few days ago. I feel like I am improving little by little but I am still not entirely sure of my technique.

I have been a pianist since I was 10, a guitarist since I was 13. I am 22 now and I have been singing and writing my own music since I was 15. Because of the limitations of my voice I have never really thought of myself as a singer, and more of an "artist", without sounding really pompous...

Some of my top vocal influences are Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Gavin Hayes (dreg), Nina Persson (The Cardigans), Bjork, Maynard James Keenan (Tool), Brandon Boyd (Incubus), Elliott Smith

I am really looking to improve my technique so that I can be able to pull in more of my influences into my music. Hopefully KTVA will be able to do that!

Nice to meet you all, I'm sure I will have more questions very soon.

---

Oh, and another thing, I had my first vocal lesson with someone a couple of weeks ago. In the 2 hours I spent with her I am pretty sure that I learned nothing. She used really abstract analogies to describe what I needed to do, and when I asked directly for more technical advice she said "you have to go feel it yourself". So I basically learned more in watching a couple of KTVA videos than I did in person with her for the whole time! I feel like a chump for taking those lessons now. She can sing quite well but she is an awful teacher...

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

eRazed,

Welcome to KTVA. I think you are going to find what you've been looking for here, with Ken's methods.  Follow Ken's instructions to the letter and really dig in to his exercises.  Your voice WILL grow.  This is a great time in your life to be starting out on a journey that will keep providing results for as long as you keep doing the program.

If you get stuck or need some feedback, we're here to bounce ideas back and forth with you!

Bob