Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

The thrill is gone live cover

bluesbirdbluesbird Pro Posts: 59
This was a few months ago..it's a little long with lots of soloing, don't let it get you down, watch half of it, it'll do!!
As we have told you, we're a couple..this one's is George's cover.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

@bluesbird

Yes, it's a long demo.  I watched most of it.  Good band, good song.  I watched some more of your videos, too. Nice guitar work.

Vocal tips:  Brighten the tone, like Ken shows in "It's the LAH!! AH!!!"

Work on increasing support.  This will help the voice in every way.  That is something we all need to work on.

Thanks for posting. 

Bob

• Options
    Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I believe is needed most, brightening of the tone!! I'm working on that, and that's the reason I enrolled too!!
  • Options
    @johnjohn Thanks so much my friend!! But still I had lots of flaws, like a dark tone, as I was telling you, and as immediately Bob spotted!! That's why I uploaded this one, in order for people to correct me, and of course so that the change will be noticeable when I've reached a good degree of mastering the course...
    I'm doing vol 2 and vol 3 now, and the difference is huge...I mean I sound like another person, even the timbre has changed!! Ken's the man!! Of course pretty soon I'll upload stuff!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thanks so much @johnjohn!! I'm really glad you liked it!! As for adopting different tones, watching Ken's demonstrations, man everything's achievable!!! 
  • Options
    Neither mine, I did some last week!!! Wish I had a roadie for this haha!! Good luck with the show my friend!!!
  • Options
    Don't push the exercises if you're going to sing a lot of shows is my opinion @johnjohn. Treat your voice gently and when you got time off, then go for the trial and error workouts!!
    Wouldn't we all benefit by lessons with Ken...!!! The money's a big deal though, I know. Preserve first, push after, that's what I believe though.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    edited July 2013

John,

When you have been at this long enough, you will have built more stamina, and will be able to sustain doing Volume 3 exercises before a show, and it will benefit you at that time, provided that you always support your voice properly...

That said, until you have built up some more resiliency in your voice, you may want to do your exercises more lightly when there is concern about a possible setback before an important show.

You most likely have been doing some singing without proper support, which causes you to put too much stress on your cords.  This will affect your upper midrange, home of the money notes.

When we learn to lean on our support as the LIFE PRESERVER of our vocal cords, we will never allow ourselves to sing without properly using it any more than we would put our hand on a hot stove!

Many of us learn to extend our range through the exercises, but don't implement enough support ALL of the TIME.  We end up going for that tough High Note, which we can now HIT, but if we don't properly SUPPORT it...  guess what happens?

We need to support during our workouts and we need to support during our performances.  We will build resiliency into our voices, but we can't let our guard down.  Always wear your life preserver!

Bob

• Options

A little light at the other end of the tunnel...

I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'm emerging from the Chest Stretching metamorphosis. 

I'm getting a little bolder about workouts before a show, and living to tell about it. 

So don't get the idea that stretching chest is something that can't be done in conjunction with singing for your supper.  You just have to know when to use moderation while building it up, after which you can start to lean into it again!  Keep your support Life Saver close at hand, and you won't have to be overly cautious.

Bob

• Options
    @johnjohn why are you taking aspirin??? Got blood clotting issues? If you're not, you shouldn't take aspirin on a regular basis, it's really bad for the stomach. It blocks the prostagladines, especially the ones that play a protecting role for the stomach. So if there's not a real need to take it, stop it ok? As for Vit E, you should be doing off periods at least for a month with that one. It tends to pile up in the body because it's fat dissolved and not water dissolved. Vit C and Vit B on the other side ,those you can take for longer periods.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

@johnjohn,

The passagio IS the break.  Move the passagio higher, and your voice will break higher as well.

You can still choose to transition lower if you want to.  So if you are singing a song that has a glottal stroke, or yodel for effect, you can still choose to execute that intentional speed bump at the note you choose.

The flexibility comes from stretching chest.  It's easy to transition lower by choice.  It's another thing altogether to choose to shift gears at the higher RPM.  If you can't get to the higher RPM in the first place, you can't choose to shift there.

Bob

• Options
    In my opinion and recent experience, when support is not optimal, one can never get over the break efficiently. Using glottal compression I've seen such dramatic changes in my voice!! All this especially when I moved to Vol 3, where the long exersices forced me to hold my breath and eventually led me to compress. If compression is used properly, I believe the transition will take place at a point where the voice will sound strong and the mix will not sound "heady" or weak. So, a good thing would be to experiment in Vol 3 long exercises @johnjohn. At first probably shortage of breath and dizziness will occur, but as you persist, miracles are worked!! I don't know if Bob or Cinema agree with me on this, but I strongly believe in moving forward in such cases, sometimes the neuro-muscular connection needs something more demanding in order for it to be reset.

George

• Options
    If you're compressing, you're already on the safe side my man!! :) When I first tried to do vol 3, I was gasping and felt like fainting!!! Hehehe!!
    I think you should just keep doing what you do. The sensation should be the air lifting your soft pallet in the back of your throat when you do the mods (mods = second most important thing after compression). And your stomach should be expanding outwards when you're at the break, because you don't let the air go upwards to the mouth. Keeping the lungs 3/4 full helped me a lot too. At first I didn't do it, I have to admit. When I filled the lungs with air too, compression was easier to do. The conclusion: If you do 100% what Ken instructs, there's no case of failure. If you're at 90% on Ken's guidelines, problems start to surface!!