Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Tips for singing 3 sets?

AdrianDAdrianD Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 103
Hey guys!

Tomorrow I will be singing 3 sets, I've never had to sing 3 sets before. 

I watched Ken Tamplins webinar on live performances, but he didn't say much about singing 3 sets.  Is there anything I should be doing inbetween the sets?

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    What's the duration of the sets and how long is there between each one?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2013

Avoid loud talking.  I believe Ken does address this in the Webinar.

Also, don't come out singing like gangbusters in the first song, and save a lot of your good material for later.  If you blow out your voice early in the performance, you will be in trouble. 

Build to peaks, then let things subside vocally.  Ups and downs.  Highs and lows.   

Do some lip trills to relax your cords and test your voice between songs and between sets, even between lines and phrases.

Remember, remember... Support!! This will help you to preserve your voice.  If you don't support, you will commit the foul of putting your voice through unnecessary roughness.

Pace yourself, and save the best for last.

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Great advice Bob. I find my voice fatigued more from offstage speaking etc than actual singing. Pace yourself and take care of yourself offstage and your voice will thank you. Also make sure you can hear yourself very well onstage to avoid over singing.
  • AdrianDAdrianD Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 103
    @ragnar

I think 30 mins? give or take a little

Thanks guys, I will keep these things in mind!  I will also structure my sets slightly differently. I have it so there are break songs between the hard ones, but perhaps I will try to make each set "build and reside" as a whole.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Good Luck, Adrian!

Bob

• voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
    Always have escape plans.  Usually if you get in trouble it is only temporary (assuming you are using decent technique), have ways to buy some time.  Ideas include asking the lead guitar to play an extra or extended solo (won't have to twist their arm for that), have an easy to sing song (or another break song) in your back pocket to use in place of the hard song that's next in the set list, band introduction vamp, etc.  Let the other guys know so that they are trying to help you instead of wondering why you're not doing it the way you've rehearsed it.  And as Scott said, if the monitor is kicking you in the face so hard that you have to back off on your vocals just a little to hear the other guys, you're golden.
  • AdrianDAdrianD Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 103
    @highmtn

Thanks again for the advice guys, it really helped me out.  I actually had to do 2 nights back to back this weekend.  Funny thing happened, as soon as we started the very first song I saw an electrical current pass over the monitors... and then they stopped working!  (I actually "Zapped" my guitar player when he touched me)  haha.    I was able to hear myself a just enough from the crowd speakers, really had to watch for over singing.  I went to the room and did lip rolls between sets, didn't drink at all during, and I managed to pull it off!  My voice was more fatigued after the 2nd night though.  Great feedback from everyone who was there so I was pretty stoked that I was still singing in key without them.

Thanks for the advice Cinema, I found that talking after the show probably was more rough on my voice than the singing.  I placed easier songs to sing between the tougher ones like you mentioned and that seemed to help give me a quick rest

Thats a great idea, I'll plan out a couple "just in case escape plans" for my next show!

@AdrianD,

Glad it worked out!  And you followed your escape plan after the monitors roasted! 

This is a great "war story" of Rock and Roll!

You made it through!

Bob