Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
Options

Dudes and Divas, I have a couple important questions for you! By Ken Tamplin!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ArtickusArtickus 2.0 PRO Posts: 66
    Hey Ken XD
    Thanks for your amazing course :)

When and why did you decide to start singing?
    - When I was around 16-17, I loved Metal and rock and wanted to become part of it, so I decided to sing, it was screaming from inside me

Do you have something to say and you want to "shout it out?"
    - Never back down guys! I was told by so many coaches that I will not ever be singing anything, I have no talent, no ear, or anything required to be able to become a singer, that I'm a total waste.

What was/is the trigger to make you want to sing?
    - Pounding inside my heart!

What inhibits your singing?
    - Personal troubles and loss of temper or nerves.

I want to know what motivates you to sing :-)
    - Nearly everything, I just love it, I love music that drives me, I love the stage, feeling, emotion, everything about it, I feel that is my place and my cup of tea, I feel amazing when I sing, even in the shower :D
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited July 2017
    Hey everybody, i also felt like answering these questions, so here we go:

- I aspired and tried to sing over 4-5 years ago (i am now 25). I just loved vocals. Tried to learn to sing somewhat on my own, but that didn't work out. Got the KTVA program and wanted results too fast. Then years later, i seriously picked it up and i am definitely picking all the fruits so to say.

Do you have something to say and you want to ''shout it out?''
    - Anybody can learn to sing and be a musician. It takes some dedication, time and direction, but it's possible. I know it. I was a terrible singer at first, now i am finally getting near a place i want to be. It's incredible.

- Entertainment for others, waking up emotions. Skill.

- When i thought i had it down, but still struggle with aspects. Especially i singing itself, i haven't got many troubles with the exercises. When the application in singing doesn't work well for me, it annoys me and can't wait to improve it.

- Actually what i already said: Emotions, skill, melody, the escape into a world of music and emotion. I want others to enjoy what i do, deliver an experience. I can enjoy good singing and musicianship so much, i want to be able to deliver this for other people.
    And, singing on a high level which is taught in KTVA is simply amazing. It's very fulfilling and impressive.

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    When and why?
    Ive always wanted to sing. Why? Its just something Ive always had in me. Ive been a musician for 41 years, and play multible instruments. I just have a natural understanding of music. (Too hard, and lengthy to explain)

Do I have something to say?
    Sure. I have plenty to say. I mostly like writing about lifes mysteries, and my own experiences that others can relate to.

The trigger? Just something I finally had to do.

What inhibits my singing?
    Throughout my life I was always afraid to sing because I have a really deep voice. At broadcasting school, they said I had a "hot tub" voice, anyway, my voice always seemed an octave lower than most popular singers, so I never even attempted it, but now Im going all the way with it, no fear.
    "No risk, no reward"

Motivation?
    As I mentioned earlier, its just something I need to do.
  • Options
    BobbyBlueBobbyBlue Pro Posts: 20
    There are times to back down and get out of performance mode. I never ever performed in my life, though I play and now starting to learn to sing with my guitar. I love doing it. Sometimes I get so carried away I forget everything around me and just play. Don't matter if nobody likes it they can just tune it out when I am in the zone...LMAO
  • Options
    elizabethenelizabethen Pro Posts: 1
    What motivates you to sing?

Last Sunday our Pastor at Door of Hope Church in Portland Oregon said something that stuck. In the OT, prophets were called to be conduits. There was a standard that when they receive message that they were called to share it. It was not about them, it was about relaying God's word. I'm self deprecating to a fault, to a point of silence. Lately friends have told me something I wrote helped them in their faith, and that the themes of my music may help others. I did not have a home where music was played or sung, nor did we have money for lessons. Yet somehow I've accumulated a crate of dozens of songs. Lyrics and melody come together, sometimes in my sleep. If that's not divine intervention I don't know what is. And if I keep being too shy to share these things then I've embraced disobedience more than faith. I can't keep waiting to feel confident. That may come in time. I need to step out because I'm
    CONVINCED even when I don't feel confident. And I'm convinced I'm supposed to do this.

What was/is the trigger to make you want to sing? I was in a dry spell. I wasn't in church for a while. Then I woke up one day and started attending again. My conversations with God sometimes led to song. As I've become more faithful in attendance the songs are coming in waves. At times I've written six in a week. I need to stop thinking this is common or a fluke and use what He gave me, even if I don't understand this.

What inhibits your singing? American idol mentality. Every one is a critic, it seems, and I'm afraid of being imperfect. I'm a writer: you can edit writing. But singing, it's on the spot. The notes leave your mouth and you can't take them back. No one around me sings, so when I start I will be heard alone, not blending in. I'm afraid of not being great at something , so I'd rather not try it at all.

It's not about me. It's about how others can grow in their faith. If I get over myself maybe they'll hear something that helps them in that way.
  • Options
    karinekarine Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 38
    Hello,
    I will make it short.
    I am 45 years old. Broke my voice twice.
    The only good Times i have is when i go see my friends playing music.
    They invited me several times singing with them 10 years ago, but was smoking so much and no technique that i lost my voice again.
    Haven t sing anymore.
    So, few months ago i decided to learn again sing and guitar. I don t want to die before i can realise my dreams !! Singing and playing guitar !!
    But it took me age to understand it is what i love the most because i thought i didn t have what it takes.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I do this for fun. I hardly do anything else these days. Someone said " they heard someone playing a guitar and singing and told me face to face,that I was good. I said thanks' then they asked if I would come over to play some time, I said "sure" to the invite , so cool!
  • Options
    finley.jfinley.j Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 30
    @Ken Tamplin
    So great question, for me Motivation shifts with how I'm feeling. It varies, I see local guys doing acoustic covers in coffee shops and always think, man I want to do that, I love the idea of being on a worship team at church rather than just the guitar player, sometimes I even fantasize about being a worship leader. I want to sing and play my guitar at parties, play and sing for my wife. I've always loved playing guitar, but when someone asks me "hey play a song", not too many people just want to hear you play the chords or leads to songs or noodle around and show off your guitar skills. I love being musical, it really feeds my soul, and singing is just an outlet for that need to be musical.

I have always wanted to sing, but never had the vocal ability to do it and just thought it was only gifted to some people, and I just wasn't one of them. I can't remember a time that I have seen people singing and wished it was me singing and playing.

I definitely have something to say, I've been a christian for quite a while now and love to worship. Along with that I love stories. Being able to tell a story with music is such a captivator for people, it just amazes me.

What triggered me was a friend who started taking singing lessons from someone who convinced him that singing is a learned skill, it changed me to the core. I started to dream again, I had actual hope that i could do this.. what's inhibiting me know... TIME! Rome was not built in a day and neither is your voice. I've been staying the course working, working, practicing, practicing, building my skills.

I'm still in Volume 1 and see no need to move forward yet, I bought the program in January and let it slide after a month. I just picked this up again a few weeks back and I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey. Doing my workouts, recording them, reviewing them, practicing with a Mic, without a Mic, reviewing, learning, growing... singing along to a few songs I've picked out to memorize and own.. recording myself...

It's just amazing how enjoyable this has become and I'm actually seeing that I will be able to sing...

Get this!! To top this off, NOBODY IN MY FAMILY KNOWS I'M DOING THIS!

All this is done in secret, with the hopes that one day when I'm ready were going to be hanging around with friends or family and the opportunity to play a tune and sing will come up... and BAM!! I'm gonna have a few songs memorized and ready to go!!! I can't wait..

Sincerely enjoying the journey!
  • Options

Its a lifetime of motivation, listening to my favorite bands over the years and sharing life's experiences they translate into compelling and melodically pleasing vocals. I started singing one day while driving to a best friends house, who later died at the age of 35 of stage 2 diabetes, he was even trying to sing a bit before he passed after I had brought my guitar over and played some songs. There are many triggers to make me sing, mostly trying to perfect my skills lately. The over all motivation of singing is to do something I enjoy doing as well as provide the kind of "comfort of sorts" that other musician's have provided me with, we all have certain songs that we listen to on certain types of days good or bad, some songs that can be listened to anytime. For instance "the day I tried to live' by Sound garden is a rare song I can listen to on a good or bad day. It helps level the highs and lows of life. I could not imagine how different our culture would be without these kind of influences. Personally I think popular musician's help influence the worlds direction.

What you said here triggered a thought. "Mostly trying to perfect my skills". Well that's where I am at. I never imagined but with taking time to work on talent with skill drills and scales guitar a vocals has been fulfilling. I love the licks and tricks section of the course. I know I said I don't like the sound of my own voice but I got that dealt with. I am improving thanks to this course.

• Options
    jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 29
    I'm sure there are many here who just can't not sing. I do it unconsciously and compulsively, like some people bite their nails or my daughter dances. In the car, at work, in the shower, while I'm trying to go to sleep, while I'm on the computer - all the time.
    Motivation to sing better... my band only plays small gigs but nailing a song on a stage in front of people is just the best feeling in the world. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a large stage or for paying crowds.

I started getting serious about learning to sing better/properly this year, after 45 years. Some friends and I formed a garage band and I'm the only one who likes vocals.

I've written a lot of parodies but would love to write something more conventional. No idea what to write about though.

I've had my voice complimented a couple of times by high profile folks in the gaming industry when I've recorded parodies. They were probably the trigger for wanting to work on my instrument more seriously.

Dry throat. I spend a lot of time in A/C and my medication also gives me a dry throat. Just gotta keep drinking water...
    I used to be self-conscious about singing in front of others, even my own band. I applied a lesson I learned from snowboarding - that if you approach a jump half-hearted, with trepidation, you won't land it. You have to commit. So I let go of the "fear" and give it 100% while singing, and it sounds better. It's self-fulfilling.
  • Options
    ashblackashblack Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    You know, thanks so much for asking this question. I figure this is as good a place to make my first post as any.

... and thanks for making this community and this course. I'm glad it is so successful. I've been training with the program intermittently since August and it has really helped my singing. I'm really appreciative of this opportunity, thank you.

It is a truth within me welling up and demanding to get out. I don't really know how to express it any more succinctly, or accurately than that!

I started singing in 1989 kept with it in dedicated but untrained fashion until 1996. I started because I wanted to be a Rock Star, but that turned out weird and I kept going anyways because I had fallen in love with songwriting. I've always sung off-and-on since then, but I started singing again in earnest only last year. I am motivated by the present political environment which I believe demands of all people that we take meaningfulness seriously and get busy expressing truth. In a nutshell, I think the only way out of the present mess if for all people to rise up, freak out, and shout out what is in your heart. I'm a big fan of people sharing their hearts right now! Oddly enough, expressing truth for me means making music, and as a vocalist that means pushing myself to not only say what I need to say, but to sing as well as I possibly can. To expand my range, to sing with power, to sing with joy, and to develop technique and confidence. That's where you all come in!

Yes I do, but I'll save it for the music. My motivations are both political and artistic. It's complicated, I don't like to talk about it.

Was always there because I'm a ham that way but most recently as a response to what I believe is a political environment that demands a response.

Well, it's a lot to put my wife through! Honestly, at this point it is finding the time... I would sing everyday for hours if I had no career to attend to, I'm sure.

• Options
    LenoraLenora Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 21
    1. It is a whole new dimension in self-expression. I am a visual artist with a website; I have been in church drama; I make up poems on the spot in my public-school art classes--I'm just naturally expressive, BUT. Singing takes me places my other pursuits did not take me.
    2. At various times in my life, people have heard snippets of my singing and told me I was good.

I've been singing in the car and the shower all my life, and in my elementary art classrooms impromptu for several years. I just got serious about 2 months ago when my husband praised my singing on Smule--not common for him, I and bought this course about 4 days ago.

Jesus Christ is my Savior.

It's like walking. I can't identify a trigger.

1. My vocal limitations, which I intend to address with this course.
    2. My intense shyness, which has gradually atrophied so much that it rarely rears its ugly head. Hmm, maybe I'm not stretching myself enough, then.
  • Options
    ebackeback Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Alrighty then:

I'm a medium skilled guitar player and people enjoy my playing but will often ask me to sing them a song and I have no confidence in my abilities because at present they suck.

I remember singing from the time I was a pre-adolescent listening to Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five, the Beatles, the Stones etc.... on the radio, and on Ed Sullivan. I also loved earlier pioneers like Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Dion, Elvis, and Little Richard. I remember running around the house singing some of the lyrics of the day and hearing my parents chide me with "that's not nice."

I'm not presently motivated by a message as much as a desire to face up to and attempt to remedy a deficiency that has annoyed me for most of my life. If there were a message it would be something like "People Need the Lord," or "Shower the People You Love with Love..."

I'm a few years away from retirement and want to find ways to make music a part of my retirement lifestyle. I feel that learning to sing along with my guitar accompaniment will further that. I also have an unshakeable confidence in the power of music to pull people together in a shared experience that is overwhelmingly positive. Some of my most profound moments have occurred at concerts, campfires, and living-room jams. I work in the area of mental health and addictions and have observed how much patients love to sing: karaoke nights always get the biggest turnouts!

Mostly, a realistic feeling of inadequacy based on objective limited range, poor volume, and inability to bridge "chest" and "head." On the other hand, I do have a decent ear for pitch.

I've only worked your program for a few days at this point but I have noticed the difference that "support" makes in bridging and smoothing out certain notes--I'm thinking this will be a huge gamechanger even though I'm presently awkward at it and thinking it to death when I do the exercises and sing songs. "Did my belly go out with the inhale?... did I just tense up my abdominal wall when I shouldn't have?, did I balance the exhale with downward pressure? ... etc."
  • Options
    mhenrixonmhenrixon 2.0 PRO Posts: 1

I believe music to be one of the most important medicines available to humanity. Expressing our creativity is the path healing even if we only ever sing to ourselves.

I had my initiation for an ayahuascero from Columbia. I was asked if I played any instruments and for some reason I answered "no but I am a singer". Two years later I play several instruments and pour my heart out in singing as well.

Well I do have something to say, that is the problem for me. Since I really have something important to say I want it to also sound as beautifully as I can. I figured that is how my message will reach the broadest audience.

I don't want to be any famous musician or anything.

To use it for healing, also... My wife loves to sing as well so we are kind of both wanting to do this together. The singing part that is. She doesn't have the patience for learning all the stuff so I have to run ahead learn it by heart so that I can teach it to her. It is amazing to have someone to practice with. Soon as she understands something she can help me back.

During the ayahuasca ceremonies when I am super connected I can sing at a much higher level. The reason being that there is no fear of singing. I don't really have a stage freight or anything but I am self conscious. I figured if being self conscious is the problem then learning the skill of singing would help. So basically just lack of practicing the right thing.
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas 2.0 PRO Posts: 31
    - It is the shortest way to the hearts of people and that is freedom :wink:
    - I started sing when I was 5 years and I thought that all my carrier will be connect with singing. But the life changed. And after 10 years of silence I decided to start it again.

- Yes, and that is my prayer. In melody I can put more then just in the words.

- I think that is just in my nature.

- Tension of my voice and lack of high notes and easiness in high notes

- The love to singing and people around who ask me to sing often (and at this point I do not like how my voice sounds)

With faith
    Povilas
  • Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602

Find it a great stess relief, aiming at telling my side of the story!!!!!

It starteded when hearing certain songs on the radio started to try and sing the choruses and started karaoke 7 years ago my voice kinda reached a ceiling and wanted to do much more possibly pro.

Started KTVA course 2 weeks ago all the people I have mentioned about doing the course hinting against it you dont have the voice etc "NO WAY THEY WILL NOT PUT ME OFF, THIS IS HAPPENING AND I WILL PROVE IT"

Such a good feeling I had when trying sing a song I really enjoyed made me feel great, excited and wanting to go further.

Slight pitching issues getting stuck on the constenants all the things this course is helping me to improve on.

Ken's course explains your never too old to sing and you can still reach your goals motivates me further.

• Options
    Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    listening to Guns n Roses got me into singing, listening to Axl Rose, and thinking I want to reach those notes, want to be in a rock band like him and tour the world

right now just love to sing I dont listen to guns n roses that mcuh anymore but got me on the track of wanting to learn to play guitar and sing, Bon jovi, skid row, Chris cornell, soundgarden audioslave temple of the dog
    glenn hughes
    and right now Chris turpin give him a listen, singer of Kill it kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4S2WiLJsFI