Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Difficult quesiton

Hello, i am on one of your warm ups that goes from about B2 to A5 (could be wrong about b2) with the LA. i can smoothly transition in and out of everything until i get to where G5 and A5 switch. when i see singers perform live they move the mic when theyre hitting those higher notes. when i get to A5 i get louder so i have been bringing my other notes in that arpegio up as well to match. i watch your voices velocity on audacity(cheap recording program) and it barely gets louder when you move up to a5. help please =-P

Comments

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Can you post a sample or your singing?
  • nAiFk1enAiFk1e Pro Posts: 6
    hey ken wanted to make sure i gave it plenty of tries on my own before i sent it in. i still cant figure out what im doing wrong but i know its not right.

www.reverbnation.com/richyscordo?profil

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

@nAiFk1e,

Can you put this on Soundcloud?

I'm unable to access this for some reason on reverbnation.

Thanks.

Bob

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Thanks, Cinema.  I was able to hear richy's sample.

It sounds good, except the register break needs to be smoothed out.  This needs to be accomplished by lowering the pressure or volume when going through the passagio where the yodel is happening.  Also at times the AH is morphing to AA or other vowels.  The AH needs to be kept a proper AH except when at the area of modifications.  There it should subtly become AW, then OO, then Ooh. 

If you are bringing your volume up in order to get the high notes to come out, then that is probably why you are flipping between head and chest as you go through the passagio. 

You need to ease back on the volume to a point where the flip no longer happens.  Then slowly and gradually increase the volume as you learn how to ease through the passagio at greater and greater volume levels. 

Also, you are doing the exercise as a continuous slide.  For most scales in the exercises, these should be individual notes and you should be landing on each note in the scale individually.  If in fact the scale you are working on is intended to be a slider, then you still need to pay attention to the pressure applied and keep it moderated down to the point where your voice does not break between the registers.

I hope this helps.

Bob