Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to achieve this kind of Hyper-Distorsion? (The Dear Hunter)

Hello everyone,

I have been deeply inspired by vocalist Casey Crescenzo, mostly known for being lead vocals on The Dear Hunter. I am intensely intrigued by his control over his voice, specially when he goes into these intense, tearing, melodic distortions... I was wondering if I could get any insight or feedback on how to go into this kind of singing.

I'm leaving this song as a reference, one of my favorites. You can refer directly to minute 
1:40 / 2:45 to get to the hard/distorted part of the chours (Let them all fold!):
_

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Dante_Bass,

I'm afraid the degree of distortion used in this tune is probably not going to result in a very long singing career for Casey.  I would have to hear more about exactly how he is doing this, but just from listening to it, it sounds very unhealthful for the vocal mechanism.

Yes, it's very intense.  Maybe too intense to do night after night for a period of years.

His clear voice is very good.  It would be a shame if he destroys it with the overdone distortion.

Bob