Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

high barritone

what does high barritone and low tenor mean?
It was said that ken is high baritone which confuses me.

Answers

• JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    From what i have gleaned over the last year or so, there is a bit of debate about exactly where each 'voice type' starts and finishes. This forum has some brilliant detail on this subject including great long prose from Ken. I'd suggest you do a search using the search tool on this forum.
    But ...... KTVA kind of makes a mockery of this notion of 'voice types', because it teaches vocal technique that makes the concept redundant/irrelevant.
    When Ken says he is a high baritone, it's probably what he was at the very start of his vocal journey, as defined by the 'vocal authorities'. He is now blasting away in the soprano range. So is he a high baritone? or a tenor? Or an Alto? Or some level of soprano? Yes, he's all of these including a Bass. I wouldnt worry too much about it other than for educational/background purposes. Dont buy into the concept and limit your vocal growth.
    Joseph
  • haiduchaiduc Volume 1 Posts: 4
    Don't confuse range with voice category.

Vocal fach encompasses not only sung range but also timbre, tessitura, and registration points. There is an audible difference between these voice categories, just because the physical dimensions of the larynx and length/thickness of vocal folds differ between individuals.

A baritone may well sing up in the tenor or alto range but he will not sound the same as a true tenor (compare, let's say, Axl Rose and Steve Perry, or Ken and Michael Jackson). This does not mean that he doesn't sound good, he sounds different.

In classical music it will not be accepted if a bass tried to sing tenor material, simply because the quality of his voice will not be the same. In contemporary music, however, there are no such rules and it doesn't matter much what voice category you are if you can deliver a convincing performance.

So the concept of voice category always applies, no matter what your sung range is, but it should not burden you unless you want to sing opera.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354