Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How many hours to practice?

How many hours is good to practice each day. If I wanna see the result very soon.

Comments

• DDisNowDDisNow Pro Posts: 28
    This is a difficult question to answer, cause you're not gonna like the answer.
    It's not about How Much you train but about How you train.
    Another way to put it is quality over quantity.
    I don't know if you're a beginner or advanced, but do as Ken says and try to do a your full KTVA stage 5-6 times a weeks, make sure you're doing it all correctly, don't cut corners and really pay attention and listen to what Ken is saying.
    Then if you feel good and not tired, I would also add an hour of actual singing songs, so that you can start intergrating what you're doing in the workouts to actual songs.
    Bottom line is that practicing 10 hours a day won't get you to the finish line any quicker, all this stuff needs to "sink in and register" with your muscle memory and brain and with consistent training you'll get there.
    I personally completed all 3 KTVA stages and try my best to practice 2-3 hours daily of singing songs after a quick warmup.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Minimum One Hour per day, Six days per week.  If you have time to do more hours per day, and you don't overdo the exercises, feel free to do as much as is comfortable for you.  More time spent on the program will produce more results.  Just pay attention and stop if you feel yourself going into discomfort.

Bob

• jnaabjnaab Pro Posts: 28
    Yes, definitely quality over quantity. Some voices can handle more work than others. Lyrical voices tend to fatigue sooner than dramatic-toned voices. I find I have to now force myself to take a day off each week and my voice is always the better for it. For a long time I sang several hours every day without every taking a day off. Now, I do 30-40 minutes of high quality, very focused vocalizing (i.e. exercises, scales) and then 1-3 hours of song work, with 5-10 minute breaks inserted in there when I feel I need them. I'll sometimes do some vocalizing during my song work and/or at the very end. I do this 5 or 6 days per week. I would call this a heavy load. Someone with less time could do the 30-40 minutes of quality vocalizing 3-4 days per week and I'm sure they would see good, steady growth.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes, @jnaab, 30 to 40 minutes a day, 3 - 4 days per week is much better than none or less, but there is no denying that an hour or even two per day is going to move things along much faster.

Just casually singing along once in a while is no substitute for dedicated, focused, regular practice and study.

Quality is definitely better than quantity, but both quality AND quantity will produce steadier results.

More so than practice makes perfect; Perfect Practice makes perfect.  There is no perfect, but you get the idea.

Bob