Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Vocal Range Increase (Desperate)

Hey, my highest note that I can hit is F#4 (briefly) but the highest note I can reach comfortably and sustain well enough is E4. I understand vocal ranges can be increased overtime and you can build on to your current range but I'm in a rock band and a lot of the songs we play need to be sung around E4 - A4 and we  currently play down a few keys because I cannot hit those notes!

But some songs just don't sound the same with lower keys and I feel like I'm underachieving when I lower the key as opposed to being able to hit the notes perfectly, but I know better than to try to hit the notes as I know it ain't gonna happen, so I get on with it and sing lower :(

I am currently working on Volume 1 (about 2/3 weeks) and obviously I'm not expecting huge results just yet, but I'm curious if I am actually going to end up with a better range and will it be ages before I notice it?

I'm very serious about my band and I don't want to lose opportunities because I couldn't sing well enough!

This is the only problem I have in the band so If I could just sing higher without struggling basically all my problems would be gone!

It's probably a silly question but will there be a time (soon/long time) in the future where I can really nail those notes comfortably?

Should I tell my band, "give me a few weeks/months/years and I'll be able to sing in the original key!" or not?

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    edited January 2014
    It's a very gradual learning process, so don't expect to get there in a week or two. If it was that easy, everyone would be a rockstar. My experience is that getting to A4 is the first big stepping stone (since it's probably the lowest of the money notes - aka the ones that impress the crowds). It's possible to reach in a couple of months from your starting position. But that's assuming that you work on it every single day with quality practice.
    The biggest positive I can give you is that yes, it's definitely 100% possible for you to develop as much range as you could dream of, there are several KTVA students who have and are doing it. Just remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    If you are struggling to improve fast enough to satisfy your bandmates, a private lesson with Ken will most likely speed things up for you. But they are expensive though, and there's always going to be other bands for you to join if you develop a great voice.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Yes.

Weeks.  Months.  Years.  All of the above.

From where you are now, it will take a lot of work and the right kind of practice.  Correct Practice.  To get where you want to be.  It won't be easy.  But it is most assuredly possible and quite probable, if you've got the guts to see it through.

Eventually, if you stick with it, you will be practicing these "hard" songs a step or two higher than the original key, just to get your chops up.  Then when you sing it in the original key, it will seem like kid stuff. 

You'll be on top of the game. But this will take more than casual, lackadaisical effort.  You've got to really want it.  There will be a lot of working out required to build your range like that, and you will need to stretch your chest voice as much as possible to accomplish that. 

You have come to the right place to seriously learn to do what you say you want.  Now, are you ready to see it through?  Let's get with it, then!!!

Victory and Success to You, @stevenson97!

Bob