Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Am I doing the warmups correctly?

When doing the lip rolls and other basic warmups and moving up the scales my voice wants to naturally break into falsetto at a certain point.  Should I add power and air to prevent this or allow it to break?  My thoughts are that I should add power and this is part of the overall conditioning process. Am I correct?

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Posts: 1,278Moderator, Enrolled
    You don't want your voice to break that is for sure. To maintain chest voice you need to add more support and a little volume to get over the bump. Keep your throat open to Ah and keep the bright tone to your voice. To work on bridging between chest/head voice you need to pull back the volume from the start of the scale so that you can manage the passagio. 2 separate but parallel approaches.
  • sspatricksspatrick Posts: 1,278Moderator, Enrolled
    Also you want to cut back the amount of air in your tone. More air gives you the light breathy falsetto tone. Use less air by using a bright natural speaking tone, maintain this over the bridge. Yiu want clean clear full tone.
  • RoojamRoojam Posts: 9Member
    Allowing no break is what I figured was the intent.  

Thanks!  
  • RoojamRoojam Posts: 9Member
    Ah - what i am referring to is "bridging", like you mentioned "bridge", and I found Ken's discussion on my VOL 1 DVD under the Chapter Titled "Intro Into Building the Bridge".

This is such good stuff. I'm simply floored.