Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Demo Area for Newbies - Feedback for those starting out

12346»

Comments

• @LoneWolfRogue , Sweet!, another Ace fan. He's the guy that turned me on to rock guitar, and started it all.

You can't go wrong giving anything your best, but it truly has to be a best effort. you know what I mean?

Looking forward to seeing you around.

"You wanted the best, you got it"

Peace, Tony
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 8262.0 PRO
    This course will definitely help you grow your voice, and your confidence along with it.
    Same goes with the forum. Theres a TON of wonderful people here who can help you boost your confidence so don't be shy or anything to post videos or audio clips of you singing so we can help you. Everybody has to start somewhere, and I believe you have chosen just the right place to start!

If you put time into this, you can reach your goal sooner than you would even expect.
    So, hope to see you around!
    @LoneWolfRogue

-Diego
  • ktvafanforlifektvafanforlife Posts: 6Member
    @LoneWolfRogue
    as Ken likes to say, "the proof is in the singing".....his students' as well as his own singing are proof! I improved greatly just by watching the various videos...I have no doubts the courses are great and am seriously considering enrolling....I just want to make sure I'll have time.

as far as confidence goes, you know the saying "sing like no one is watching?" I think it starts there. :smile: Cheers!
  • LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue Posts: 2172.0 PRO
    Thanks guys very much I think I'll do a video soon and see where we get with the lessons as I'm now an academy student but it'll be slow and thanks for your kindness and patience lol I'm gonna be a tough nut to crack in the singing world but I definitely do hope it helps.

P.s. for those that did earlier thanks also on the makeup comments too lol. I did Ace for a few gigs as him and it was fun to see the kids light up and be like KISS lol.

To be honest I'd love to do a sort of revival of the glam rock bands. The style I want to do in music is the theatrics of KISS, the lyrics/messages like that of ken and even Strypers and a voice and guitar riff combo of all combined.
  • DaveBellDaveBell Posts: 1Member
    I have a feeling there are a lot of things I could have done better in this cover of an Albert Collins song. Most noticeable to me was I probably didn't start out with the right intensity and I think I was too close to the mic on the talking part. It was recorded before I knew about Ken. Ken's tip about the first note of a verse being the most important is the type of insight that blows me away. I have shared that advice with other people, even as encouragement when they messed up the last note of a verse. Thinking about getting the first note right is the type of thing that can make a big difference for me. Working the mic might be a good topic, but you can sort of figure that out by listening to recordings of yourself. Somebody called one of the styles I sing in punk crooning. There are a few other styles I'm much better at than many, but I don't want to start out with something I am terrible at.

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 972Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    @DaveBell hey im Gaston I would encourage you to brighten the sound more, it will help you a lot for pitch

here is a video where you can see how you can work that out

hope this is of help

• AdrenalyndaAdrenalynda Posts: 102.0 PRO
    Ok, I posted this elsewhere on this site as well. Open to constrictive feedback. I have been singing online since last May. Still green, just really started diving into KTVA and it's helped me a ton!!!

Oops, constructive, not constrictive feedback!
    Ok this one was recorded with a bit of clipping and a timing issue, but my real stab at backgroud vocals. Great musicians though!
    Cover of Edge of Seventeen by Fleetwood Mac
    edited February 23
    From one year ago.. Smells like Teen Spirit cover:
    And a softer tune: cover of Nathalie Maines cover of Pink Floyd's "Mother"

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,500Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Nice job, @Adrenalynda !

You sound your best when you are keeping a brighter tone, like the one one the softer tune. I also liked the Nirvana tune. There were some pitch issues in a few of the harmony vocals, and the first two tunes didn't have as much bright tone in them. The brighter tone is best for helping to keep spot-on pitch.

Learn all you can and practice with increasing your breath support. It helps a lot for overall consistency and tone.

Welcome to the forums!

Bob
    edited February 24
    Hi and thank you so much. I really appreciate the feedback ( and that was quick!) Practice practice practice for sure!
  • Lucas_lpsLucas_lps Posts: 6Member
    Hi guys !!
    I have been practicing with Ken videos on youtube, can you please give some feedbacks ?

Here is the Demo:
    https://soundcloud.com/lucaslpss/like-a-stone-demo/s-wbo5h
    @Lucas_lps
    Sounds pretty good. I recommend you brighten up the tone a bit more. Your support could be a little better to help sustain those notes. It's best to have some sort of music accompaniment so we have a pitch reference, rather than solo voice.
    @highmtn
    Thank you very much for the help !! I will definitely try this.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,141Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @Lucas_lps

this sounds really promising. I guess that you are singing in your bathroom, but not under the shower. It might be worth a try to upload a demo with a playback from another room (i.e. the living room) to remove these early reflections. They make it harder to evaluate your vocal skills.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani
    Thank you for the advice, I was in my bathroom, I will keep Practicing and soon I will upload another demo.
  • JonathanGonzalesJonathanGonzales Posts: 32.0 PRO
    Hey there. My name is jonathan Gonzales. Ive been with the program for about 7 months now. I i think my biggest hurdle is consistency with the vowel mods. Any feedback would be appreciated!
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao3BXNtBBUF8klCv_IWeMKUAiH0W
    @JonathanGonzales
    You sound good on this clip. You aren't really going high enough to need modifications, except maybe on a few of the EE vowels on high notes. You could modify EE to the EE-Aye ask Ken calls it, so that your Meee would be maye-ee. Not really obvious, just enough to take the edge off of the EE vowel. That's what mods are for, to make the upper notes a little more comfortable.

Learn them. They will become your friends.

Bob
  • JonathanGonzalesJonathanGonzales Posts: 32.0 PRO
    @highmtn thanks Bob! Will continue to work on it. I was previously a baritone, so im reworking where the mods should kick in with new ranges to my voice. Certainly will work more on the E of eight mod
  • ContraltoLivesMatterContraltoLivesMatter Posts: 124Member
    edited June 16
    I found I like Delta Goodrem as a vocal role model eventhough her voice is slightly higher than my own, I found that her songs are good for me. this is a video I did of her song Lost Without You. I am learning this at the moment. I’m becoming aware I need scales to practice which should allow me to nail this song

I will consider buying the course, and need to know if the USB would work on a samsung galaxy tab? beause I have an iphone.

here is my link https://www.dropbox.com/s/trywa4rrsy8mnan/10000000_747315129076132_4230195585698758656_n.mp4?dl=0

Iam feeling positive I can do this somedays others im afraid and want to say im absolutely hopeless. I really good guitarist, so my end goal is to be like a female ritchie sambora where I can play guitar (which I can) flashy, and sing as well this would make my requirement of needing a duo obsolete.

I also want to do this on YouTube for sure. my guitar skills are there, but I am concerned at the time it will take me to get my voice to that standard.

Please tell me if I suck with no chance I need absolute honesty before I do anything else

I wasn’t singing my best because I feel nervous singing on video at the moment.

Delta uses from what I understand is a mix voice, I had trouble with the higher note which I needed to open my throat
    More. I feel my voice is almost too bright

Caroline