Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Original Demo area for Newbies

highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,916Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

This thread is reserved for folks that would like to dip their toe in the waters of singing demonstrations.  Maybe you're new to singing, or just new to KTVA, but you would be more comfortable having your demo seen alongside other new singers, rather than amongst some of our heavy-hitters.

Well, here it is.  Just for you and fellow Dudes and Divas that want to have a few pointers in the early stages of your vocal journey!

This is a safe place.  You can be off-pitch.  You can have bad rhythm.  You can be nervous. 

We will help you.

We won't be mean.

We WILL coach you, and sometimes that will mean that we will point out the things you need to work on.

Don't worry if you HATE the sound of your own voice.  That is a very common thing.  This will help you to get over that hump.

We are here to Cheer you on!

Come on.  Give it a try.  This is YOUR PLACE!

: ^ )

Bob

Comments

• 426 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,916Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

This is a brave demo.  You picked a very hard song to sing.

The introductory line is a bit wobbly, pitch-wise.  That can be stabilized by improving your support.

You go pretty high in your head voice, I heard a C#5, not bad...

You'll want to work on fusing your chest and head voices into one long, continuous sound.  Your head voice is a little disconnected (tonally speaking) from your chest sound.  You've got a good range, however, and once you get a little more adept at matching chest and head, especially through the passagio region, you will start to pull off songs like this with more success. 

At 1:33 where you go from C#5 in head to Chest F4 and G4 (on AH), you should try to sing the F4 and G4 in head voice, so they will more closely match the timbre you have on the head C#5 (because they are part of a contiguous line).  You go down to F4 and G4 in chest and you are clamping down to try to "hit" the notes.  They seem to be at the top of your chest range, and not in your comfort zone.  Try smoothing that line out by doing it all in head.  When you are able to do the C#5 in chest with ease, then doing the F4 and G4 in chest with ease would be an option.

Thanks for the explanation/disclaimer at the beginning.  I'm not going to nitpick at funky notes, you know they're there. 

All the best!

Bob

@BeginnerJon,

Not bad for someone starting out from scratch.  This is a good one to use for comparison later on. 

Don't get too worried if it's confusing to keep all of the balls in the air at once.  Learn each moving target individually, and practice them as you are able.  Eventually you will be able to get them all in the air at once, and keep them there.

Celebrate little victories when they come.

You should send a demo of you doing the LAH scales so we can compare apples to apples and let you know how you're doing on the basic nuts and bolts of singing.  Everything will eventually stem from those basic building blocks.

Your pitch is good, your tone consistent, and you will probably gain a lot of vocal growth as you continue your studies and workouts.

Bob

• emmalight123emmalight123 Posts: 17Member
    edited August 2014 Vote Up1Vote Down
    Hello! I have already met the great man Bob!!! And he told me to put a Demo in this Forum! Just as a start, (Bob knows this) I am a talented guitar player and I would like to front my own band someday. I am a very motivated and self-empowered individual, basically I am A WINNER. I think this led to my success with the guitar. My favorite musician is Mr. Richie Sambora, I hope to be and sing like him someday! I have never sung before in my life, hahaha. My dad says im a bad singer but that did annoy me at first, then I realized it gave me the motivation to learn. I have looked at other programs like the AAAproach or something, If im being blunt they are all shot. I have researched into Ken and he is the man! This is the song I did a snippet from:

This is my version, sorry to humiliate you Richie! I would really like to know what I did well, If I did and what I did bad? If you can say that I can really improve my voice and later down the line have lots of "Ornamentation" like Richie! I will definitely give it a shot. I will complete any task to the best of my ability! I PROMISE YOU!

http://yourlisten.com/Marvin123/test-sitd-sambora
  • @Fenderjedi:  Nice job!  I can't wait to hear you after a while on this program, frankly.  I also enjoyed listening to "Someone like you".

Only think I can comment on is that it seemed that you may have had your record volume just a touch too high, as it seemed like I could hear some distortion on the really higher/louder notes.  It sounded that way anyways.

Really nice job!  Looking forward to hearing many more!

• @Fenderjedi:  I remember the first few times I did the exercises, felt the same way as you described.  I was straining to get to the high notes.  I backed off a bit (on both volume and skipped a few of the really high notes) for a while, until I was comfortable getting up there more easily.

I then worked my way up higher, with less air, less volume (softer), and one day it just seemed to start getting better/easier to get to the top.

Now, when I practice those scales (4 months later, of 5-7 nights practice a week), I sometimes go all the way to the top w/o going into mixed/head voice, and don't even realize I'm at the top of the scale, and start coming down!  Give it time, DON'T strain, go as light as you can, and stick with it.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 625Moderator, Pro
    @Fenderjedi

That's really good for a first attempt. Your tone is pretty bright but really push for that bright ping... to the point where you think it sounds almost toooooooo bright (Don't go nasal though) cut back the air maybe a little bit more. There are a few pitch issues but I don't think you will have any trouble correcting them... IMO, it's relating back to that brightness issue because it was mainly in the lower register.

THE BIG THING IS THIS... DON'T over sing. I did this too because I wanted that Coverdale/Bon Jovi sound straight away. Think control and finesse first then add the weight when it becomes easy. It can take a while but trust me... it will get there... Judging by what you have going for you already, you'll probably get there faster than most.

My 2 big revelations came when I had a cold and was forced to hold back. I could still get the timbre I was looking for but without blowing myself out and overdoing the volume. The second one was from watching Steve Perry sing live on Youtube. Even on the BIG notes, his Mic isn't that far away from him. Same with Ken and his demo's. The Tone is Huge but the Volume isn't ridiculous. The Tone carries the note, not the forced volume. Cut Back the volume but keep that throat nice open. Almost like you are 'drinking the sound' rather than pushing it out.

Hope this helps/
    Hello, @BruceKiske!  We have some other students in Chile, as well.

Welcome!

Sounds like one thing that would help you is to work a bit on your breath support. 

All the Best!

Bob
    @marc

Your voice has improved so much in the past year!  

It has become really pleasant to listen to.  I mean Really nice.  You aren't struggling anymore.  It makes me happy to hear you.  You've crossed the line between struggle and soaring.  

Congratulations!

Bob
    @BruceKiske

This is better on the support than your previous demo.  You still need more support on the A4's.  That will help you to be a little better in tune on those notes.  A4's require a lot support and restraint.  Good job on the D5, you had that one in check. 

Try to lighten up a little bit on your consonants, and rely more on keeping the open throat happening as much as possible.  Consonants shut down the vocal tract and cause you to have to constantly re-open the vocal tract.  That's why Ken tells us to minimize consonants. 

Try to keep the vocal tract wide open as much as possible.

All the Best!

Bob
    @stratman,

Thanks for asking, Rob. Yes, you can mention the vocal tuning app.

Bob
    @seeker,
    Yes, you can gradually raise your F#4 Call Voice limitation, and that IS what is meant by Stretching Chest Voice.
    It's very slow-going, but by gently and persistently trying to avoid slipping into head voice and going on up to G4, G#4, etc. you will eventually be able to stretch that up to A4 or higher, if you keep at it long enough. Ideally you will keep trying and succeeding, a little at a time, until you make it up to about C5 or so. Your Primo Passaggio may also move up a notch or two.

In future demos, if you have a means to do so, it would be helpful to hear a little bit of backing track (Music accompaniment) behind your voice, as a pitch reference. We still want to hear your voice predominantly, but a light music track will help us to hear how close your pitch is to the reference track.

Good job of putting your voice out there.

Bob
    @deyjey,
    Not bad for day one. This will be something to look back and compare in a few months.

Do your workouts and review Ken's instructions in the videos. With practice and time for growth, you will improve.

Bob
    The main thing that stands out to me that could be improved is that you are singing with accentuated consonants. This makes the singing choppy and keeps you from maintaining an open throat. An open throat would sound more sonorous. You could practice this song on the ah vowel and try to develop it into more contiguous vowels, by de-emphasizing the consonants and emphasizing the vowels, with a bias towards the open AH vowel.

You're doing a lot of things right, but remember we sing on vowels. Consonants are interruptions in those vowels, and need to be handled artistically and musically.

All the Best.

Bob
    @boomba212,

Thanks for putting a Lah demo up. I can hear some things that you should correct to help get your voice dialed-in a little better as a baseline.

Your throat is not open enough. If you listen carefully, there is a little bit of Ng, or "ungh" in your LAH. Video would have been easier to sort this out, but it sounds like your tongue is not forward enough out of the back of the throat. If your throat is more open, unclogged by the tongue, it will have a brighter AH that pings and pops more. To make the NG sound, we close off part of the sound to the mouth by arching the tongue and let most of the air go to the nose.

Listen to the bright, pingy sound Ken is making when he demonstrates "It's the LAH!!! AHH!!!" It's totally Open in the Throat. It's bright. It's very "AH" like the doctor has you do when he's looking all the way down your throat. The doctor makes you open up so he can see down there.
    Ungh is not AH. We sing on the AH (or LAH) to practice getting that open throat, and most of our other vowels will be variants of this OPEN AH.

Ken has a saying: All vowels stem from AH, except EE and sometimes Ooh.

Your support is a little weak. There is a wiggle in your breath that will stabilize if you push down on your diaphragm somewhat when singing, pressing down more as your scales go up. Keep pressing down until you are about 3/4 of the way back down the scales.

Your pitch wanders a bit. Getting your support strengthened will help with this, but I think you should work through Ken's Basic Pitch program and practice the exercises in that program. It will help you to get more centered on your pitches. You have good range, but you need to exercise more control on your pitch. Singing high is not a problem for you, but on a number of notes you were singing flat. You need to work on your pitch accuracy. Pitch is a non-negotiable part of singing. It's either on pitch or off-pitch. You may need to train your ear, your brain, and your voice to work together to assure that your pitch is spot-on.

Once you get your pitch reigned-in, you have plenty of range.

Around 1:53 I noticed that your AH sounded much better than it did at the beginning of of the exercise where I said you were singing "ungh" instead of AH. Maybe you were more warmed up, or maybe you were not comfortable or confident in the range the exercise started at.

The pitch is still wandering at that point, though.

The next scale starts off better. Still needing more support. Open up that throat in the back. Make it ping.

So your assignment for now is:
    1. Basic Pitch. You will find that program here on the forums in the area called "VIDEOS FOR ALL KTVA STUDENTS". Work that program, and make sure you understand everything Ken is saying and having you exercise to build. You will train your ears, your brain, AND your voice.

2. SUPPORT. You need to build your support. Please go to the students only area called Diaphragmatic Breathing and Support. Read up in that area and try to get a concept of what support is. There are also videos in the students-only video section, including recordings of the KTVA webinars on Support. You need to have support to lean on when doing vocal exercises and also when singing.

Get those two elements working for you and then let's check you out again to see how you're doing.

Good job on getting this demo together. Videos can tell us even more, so don't be shy about posting a video demo.

All the Best!

Bob
    @boombah212,

1. This is a good question. You are Resisting the escape of the air. You want to meter the air out, and the way you do that is by pushing down instead of just releasing the diaphragm to come up like it otherwise normally do. You're RESISTING the release of the air, NOT Quite inhaling, that's too much, but it's very much LIKE inhaling, except not enough to cause the air to reverse... you just want to compress it and slow it way down. Push down to feel a compression in your guts and a slowing of the release of your breath.

2. Just move your tongue forward, where the tip is touching the back of your bottom teeth, and let the back of your tongue come away from the back of your throat. You can hold the tongue flat to the base of the jaw, or better yet, if you can, make the tongue concave, with a furrow down the middle and the sides slightly curled upwards. That will open a clear channel for the air to come directly from your throat, unimpeded.

There are sites on the internet that you can find with the search term "Tone-deaf test". You can see whether you are truly tone-deaf. It is a very small percentage of the population that is truly tone deaf. I don't think from listening to your demo that you are tone-deaf at all. You do have a need to sharpen your listening skills as you sing and to correct your pitch in order to have good intonation. Some students are better than others at improving this. It's something that you as an individual will have to be steadfast in working through, if you truly want to be able to sing and to be admired for your voice. Singing On-Pitch is a must. Pitch can be improved. Some students learn it very quickly, but if it is something you are not aware of, or don't have an ear to discern, it can be an uphill effort. If you want to sing, you will have to defeat the pitch monster, or the best tone in the world won't help your intonation.

Pitch discernment can be learned, but will take your full attention and dedication to conquer it. If you want to sing well, and if this is one of your weaknesses, you will have to train and work to improve your ear, your brain, and your voice to work together, on the fly, to get your pitch-seeking missile guidance system working in your favor.

I'm serious about you getting serious working Ken's basic pitch program. You will probably have to dedicate some serious effort and time to the exercises in that program. I say go for it! If you want to sing, there is no way around Pitch.

All the Best!

Bob
    @boomba212

First of all, I'm glad you took the pitch discernment tests and know now that you are not truly tone-deaf. You just have some work cut out for you, to hone your listening skills and improve your ability to closely-match pitches.

Don't beat yourself up if you find some of this hard to do at first. Some take longer to build this skill than others, but it CAN be learned. You've really got to WANT IT, because it's KEY to good singing, and it will take some time and effort.

It's OK to let your tongue come forward, but be aware that the tongue is capable of taking many shapes and even sizes. You can kind of rest the tongue against the lower front teeth, and have the back of the tongue move forward. That can tend to make the middle rise, but if you raise the sides of the tongue and make a furrow down the middle, that can help to keep the tongue down somewhat.

Some students use an inexpensive keyboard or a virtual keyboard from the internet to practice matching random pitches. Some use a chromatic guitar tuner (with a built-in mic) to practice holding pitches.

None of us are perfect with our pitch, but we all need to learn to be as close as we can be. If we are getting feedback that we are off-pitch, it's time to train on being On-pitch. Teaching our own ears to hear that difference is a BIG PLUS. That skill will be very helpful.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Trying to find my voice. Considering Ken's course. Here's a song I'm writing and working on that is pretty representative of the direction I think I need to go. Feedback most appreciated, good and critical.
    @jcrogel,

You could use just a little more support to help you hit those higher notes dead on, where you are scooping up to them now. Also support will just beef up the tone a bit as well.

If you haven't already watched Ken's lessons on minimizing consonants and singing songs on the AH vowel without consonants, and then on all of the right vowels without consonants, that is important to learn to make your vowels more contiguous and continuous, and to reduce the consonants to the extent possible. That will help you a lot with singing of songs.

Your voice sounds nice. Your pitch is pretty good. You may want to slow your vibrato down a little bit. Ken shows you the "ghosting extercise" in the vibrato lessons. Ghosting is good for helping to get a nice, slower speed on vibrato.

You sound like you're on a good track.

Bob
    @PALMHEAD,

This is an improvement over your previous demo. Your pitch is improved, as well. Keep working the pitch program, as it is helping.

Your posture is good. You are correctly raising your cheeks and your upper lips off your teeth. The sound is bright. Your abdominal breath looks good. I think you can expand your chest a bit more. You're correctly breathing from below, but you should maintain ribcage expansion. You keep your lungs 1/2 to 3/4 full the entire time you are singing, only relaxing that expansion occasionally in a break in songs or scales. Then you resume that static expansion. You should kind of keep the chest up (with the shoulders hanging down) as if your sternum were hanging from a string like a puppet. This keeps the weight of your ribcage completely off of your lungs and allows the belly breathing to fully control the exhale from the diaphragm only, instead of the weight of the collapsing ribs squeezing the air out.

Keep up the good work.

Bob
    Sounding better. Try to put a little more ping and sting into the tone. Really bright with some more bite. Excellent job on staying in chest voice up to the Bb4. I'm not even going to mention that you were a little flat on the Bb4, because you did such a good job of getting up that high in chest. Super.

Listen to that again, and see if you can hear where you high note needs to be about a half-step higher to make the grade. That will be important when you are performing in front of people. We are here to let you know to work on that, without booing you. The Karaoke crowd might be a little rougher after they've had a few beers. Work on nailing those high notes right on the money.

The high notes from about G4 down are fine and spot-on. The G#4, A4, and Bb4 need to be spot-on, too.

Your support is good this time. Improved.

On the second scale, try to land on each note for a moment. You're slurring a little too much. I know. It's fast. Keep practicing. Stop the playback and do it a little slower if you need to, in order to get each note on a little landing pad by itself. Then work on speeding it up. In this scale you made it all the way up to a B4 in chest voice (albeit a little flat). You are doing very well on stretching your chest voice. The flatness on the high notes is just something you have to go through in order to stretch the voice. You are getting there, and I think you will keep going beyond this in time, and on-pitch as your voice strengthens and you get even better with support. Remember, the higher the note, the more you have to push down to help you get the note out. This will actually decrease the pressure at your vocal cords by letting your gut take the brunt of the force and push it into the floor.

The Karaoke showdown is drawing closer. Keep up the good work. Knock 'em dead. Show them you know how to belt in chest and support the notes.
    Work on getting that brighter sound. You're almost there.

Bob

Yes, you are singing incorrectly, but you don't have a "bad" voice. You just don't know how to control it and support it, and how to fully use it. Your voice is capable of being stabilized and made more consistent through training. You need to learn proper breath support, better tone, and how to extend your chest voice higher.

Learning a complete singing method that teaches you how to do all of those things can give you the confidence to know what you are doing with your voice, and to open up and sing. All singing methods are not created equal.

There are no quick fixes. There are building blocks and methods of using those building blocks. Step-by-step you work on your voice in an ongoing, methodical way, and it gets better and better, step-by-step.

You have a good voice. It needs training.

All the Best.

Bob
    You're doing pretty good. Nice bright tone, jaw open, tongue down, belly breath... but one thing you should improve is: Keeping the ribcage expanded, even between belly breaths. We keep the ribcage about 1/2 to 3/4 expanded so that the weight of the ribcage going in and out doesn't influence the belly breath we are working so hard to maintain.

So you will keep the ribs expanded and suspended until you need a brief break. Just a momentary relaxation, but not on every breath. You could keep the expansion going through this entire scale, in fact, but it wouldn't hurt to have one break in the middle... just a short, instantaneous rest break, and then back to expansion.

You are doing a good job of keeping the shoulders relaxed, even though you have that motion going on in the ribcage.

In fact your pitch isn't bad either, but if you feel it's helping you to work the basic pitch program, then keep it up. Embed those intervals into your brain and your voice, and you'll have it for life. You might start working a little bit of the video in, by way of review. You will notice things every time you re-watch the videos, that you missed before.

After a little more time on basic pitch, then move more into reviewing the video lessons, and when you feel you've got everything working pretty well, that's when it's time to think about Volume 2. The mods become much more necessary in Volume 2, so at least get your toes into the waters with the vowel mods before thinking about moving forward.

You're doing well, I can hear the progress, too.

Keep it up!

Bob
    Hi, @Herostatic!

You seem to have pretty good pitch, but it we kind of need a backing track to reference for that. You could use a bit more breath control and consistency in your support. Your voice would sound better if it were brightened up some. You have a voice that would respond well to overall training, but it's hard to give you "the magic bullet" in a suggestion or two. The voice is a whole and we build the whole by coming at it from all angles and working on a lot of little things that all add up to the total sum of a great voice.

Your voice doesn't suck. I hear you in there. You need to study a whole course that will give you techniques to work on your voice day in and day out, so that, over time, it develops into something you can be proud and confident in.

All of us here that are studying Ken Tamplin's course are on a journey that will last us the rest of our singing lives. We don't get better overnight, or even after watching all of the videos once to get all of the secrets... It's a matter of working on all of the many details over the long haul that we add notes and tone and consistency to our voices.

You don't have a bad voice. You just need to train it correctly and practice consistently on the right techniques if you want to improve it significantly.

All the Best!

Bob
    Hi, @wabba_treads

It's nice to hear from you. Good job on this. I've fooled around with this tune from time to time. It's a good one.

I had to listen to Paul McCartney sing it to hear exactly where he's bridging on it.

I found this version on YouTube:

This is take 14. It's not nearly as polished as the final released version. I like it, because he sounds really a lot more like one of us, rather than the superstar that he also is. You can hear pretty well where he is bridging. One of the things Paul is so good at is matching the two sounds tonally so that it's hard to hear the seam between registers.

What I have to do on this song to get it to sound half-decent to me, is to take phrases like "Knowing that love is to share" and matching the tone at the bottom to the tone at the top note. Texturally, the notes all need to match to sound like one voice as much as possible. So that means you have to put a little bit of head voice texture into "knowing" and make sure "that love" is at the same texture and volume level to match up well. That requires many trials and errors of singing over and over "knowing that love is to share" until it's very very consistent tonally and volume-wise.

You did a good job. I would try to make sure that the high notes don't punch out more loudly than the lower notes, especially within a phrase. I agree that choosing to sing some of the notes in head rather than taking chest up higher is a proper decision in this type of song. Even if you are using a bit of chest voice, it should have a "head" texture, in that it has soft edges, rather than hard cord closure. Not hooty, but also not belty. It's in the soft edges that you can put together the two registers and make them sound like one. Paul was and is still a master in this area of the voice.

On "Making each day of the year" I find that it seems to work the most smoothly to sing "Ma" in soft chest voice and then "king each day of the year" entirely in head that matches the tone I started with. I can sing it all in chest voice, but doesn't fit the song well at all if I sing it like that. I can sing the "ma-" in head, too. It's a B3, and easy to sing in head voice if I want, but my voice seems to like to bridge this line in the middle of the word.

I would hold the "Love" in the intro just a skoshe longer, with a connection to the word "to". Ah-ee Nee-dmah-Lahhhh-vtuh-bee-nee-ah. (the "uh" part would be like the oo (middle) mod of ah).

I really like the backing vocals. Your run on "Knowing that Love" at 1:10 is the best instance of that, consistency-wise.

Good work!

Bob
    There were a few places where your pitch seemed a little out, but your tone and technique seem to be right for that genre of music.
    The consonants sound OK, but the less of them you use, the more you can form your notes into contiguous phrases that will help to keep your voice in better shape.
    This sounds good, @chappers! You will do well with the course!

Bob
    edited September 2016 Vote Up1Vote Down
    @mathewkaye,

Not bad for a first demo. You're singing a bit too loud on some of the notes. That can work against you.

The G# is a little high for you in chest voice now, but I think you'll be there soon. On the Eb you were a little flat.

Keep working the program, and do the basic pitch program for a while, to help train your ear to hear some of the pitch issues.

This isn't an easy song, so don't be surprised if you can't pull it off in your first week, or your first month. Give yourself time to work through the scales and get your voice trained a bit. You'll do fine.

I think we'll hear a lot of improvement as you work the program.

All the Best.

Bob
    Hey, Haakon!

Nice Job! Good recovery when you had a problem with the lyrics!

You're kind of using what is called a "covered" sound, which is appropriate for Elvis type songs, where you want a deep sound. You could brighten the sound up somewhat by smiling more and uncovering your upper teeth as you sing. Smiling high into your cheeks and eyes causes the tone to brighten, as you "aim" the sound towards the hard surfaces in your vocal tract, like the backs of your upper teeth and the hard palate.

Very good.

Bob
    HI, @ArdeneLupin!

You sound pretty good on these tunes. You are using mostly head voice throughout these songs. So that is a light, airy, heady tone. It doesn't work very well when you get to the lowest notes of these songs.

Normally you would use chest voice for the low notes and head voice for the higher notes. Even better would be to use your mid voice in a chest configuration up to about F#4, unless you are looking for a lighter sound. These two tunes could qualify for "lighter", but I'm not hearing any chest voice in these tunes.

To use chest, you would have to build the Passaggio, or "bridge" between chest voice and head voice, and to be able to "connect" them without a break in your voice. Singing it all in head voice lets you avoid transitioning, but limits the range that you can sing in.

KTVA advocates stretching your chest voice up considerably, as well as also learning to bridge into head voice. That gives you options on each song, to either sing with a little more emphasis, or to keep it light. And of course, if you want to, then you can belt through that area of the voice, if you build the stamina and strength to do so.

After building an extended chest voice, and then building an extended and strengthened head voice, you can learn to combine the two in a blend that can range from very soft to very emphatic, with a lot of tone variation.

I think you need to learn to sing with a little more cord closure, and to develop some stronger breath support, to give you more of a solid basis to give more form and consistency to your voice.

You have a nice start.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Hi @guitarnate,

first I have to say, that I am also new to this. So do not take my word for true.
    I listened to the first few scales and here is what I hear:

1) I have the impression that your voice is on the way of developing the bright ping. Good!
    2) It sounds as if you should do this excercise more slowly, because I hear you "Swimming". Means I think you are searching a little bit for the pitch or more precisely the correct note in the scale.
    3) Is your support while going up the scale the same as going down or are you getting lazy downstairs? I have a feeling of inconsistency while listening.
    4) From scale 7 on you get louder. Try to do this more evenly. And try to do it more relaxed.

Overall I would be glad if I would have developed that brightness until now.

I hope someone whith more knowlege than me is correcting my comments if they need correction.

ciao
    Martin
  • @LENNIZEN - I like it. Your voice has a cool relaxed vibe to it!
  • Piotr85Piotr85 Posts: 16Pro
    edited March 21 Vote Up1Vote Down
    Hello, what do You think of that?

Regards! :)
  • definitely testing the waters!

• @TinaEr You have really good pitch and a very pure clean sound. Loved listening to this ... hadn't heard it since I was a kid.

Let's start with this one.  I'll transplant it here:

StevenGStevenG Posts: 2Pro
    Hi guys,

I'm currently two and a half months into the program and I would like someone to critique my singing.
    However everyone in this thread is singing on such a high level that I don't feel comfortable to post here.

I never sang before these two and a half months so I'm an absolute novice; unskilled (and lacking natural talent) but willing to take the time and effort to learn to sing. 

Therefore my question: is there's a specific thread in the forum for guys like me to get critique and/or criticize (in a constructive way) on each other? Absolute novice level.

Steven 

• is there anything in there? please help guys 

Yes, there is something there.  I hear your voice inside there, but it's really raw and untrained.  You need a good program to set you on a clear path and develop your voice along a healthy track.

As Cinema said, if you keep on doing what you are doing in your demo, you will lose your voice. 

Much of what has to be learned in singing is when to allow, rather than push, when to ease off rather than strain.

You have a voice that can be developed, or, left untrained, could end up being bound up by vocal problems.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

• I really appreciate the feedback. I know exactly what you guys mean but is it normal for it not to feel strained? it doesnt hurt at all even after an hour of continuous singing
  • gabenlarockgabenlarock Posts: 34Pro
    edited March 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down

Well i didnt strain at all =/ I was holding air in the base of neck. Heaven and Hell song - i always sing clean first part of the song - just i was too nervious and started straight distorted =( I dont shout at all, it's kinda illusion that i scratch my throat, this kind of distortion never hurt my voice of affect clear singing. And what song was out of key? Breaking the law wasnt in original key plus bass player played wrong notes half song. I think i just oversang staff due to nervios state. 
    @cgreen ;

I rewatched and yeah - its sux.But I dont sing like that in general. The only good song was motorhead other's sux =/  I better delete this sh** XD

@gabelarock

I didn't get a chance to hear your demo before you removed it.  I've had a crazy-busy week or two.

I suggest you take cinema's suggestions and repost a new video.  Standard Lah scales would be a good place to start, and then move on up to more difficult things.  Let's see what your basics sound like and go from there.

Don't get discouraged.  Try again.

Bob

• Yeah thanks guys I'm just kinda hardgainer guy - I even talk not that much and kinda very introvertish person - I've never sung in my life so It's all hard for me =/ I will go back to Volume 1 and post some basic staff.  I will take few days break and try to start all over again. =D

The basic Lah arpeggios are the best place to start.  We can build from there.  Get the basics right, then move through other vowels and eventually more challenging scales.

Well, your pitch was in left field until you got going, but after that it was fine.

I would suggest you lower the volume of the mic or just move away from it a little more.  The sound is a bit distorted, and that makes it a little painful to listen to, sonically. You want a little headroom to guard against the digital overshoots when the sound does peak to the top of the waveform.  Make sure your guitar is well in-tune.

You are singing fairly high-range scales and for the most part, you are tracking the pitch well. 

Better support would help to give you a more substantial tone. You have the bright portion of tone down, but you could use a little more girth, especially when you begin the low part of the scale.

Keep practicing.  You will improve.  No glaring deficiencies to worry about.  B4 is a reasonably high note.  Many people struggle to not even get that high.

Good first demo!

Bob

@blondiewales

Generally, I think you should sing more with your entire body, rather than from your throat.

Yes, you should push down more on the higher notes, and stay grounded to the earth as you sing.

Also, make sure your larynx is not rising above the central, neutral position.

You stretch chest up to B4, which is a respectable high note.  You can take chest higher if you care to keep working at it, or still feel that you have room to go.  You can probably make it to D5, maybe D# or E, in time.

You can work on the suggestions and repost the same scale.  That's the standard, basic evaluation scale.  Later you can do the AA, and the EE.

Just stay within your comfort zone and don't push too hard when you hit your limits.  We all have limits.  It's how we deal with them that makes a big difference sometimes.  Respect where you are and take time and proper care to expand your horizons.

Bob

• Here is my own little demo. I've had absolutely no vocal lessons. Just been singing for years and judged my own voice by listening to playback and comparing it with the actual singer. 

@brad1983,

Your pitch is good.  You do a good job for self-taught. 

Your distortion, however, sounds like it could wear on your cords over a period of time.

Are you able to sing clean, without the distortion?

Bob

• brad1983brad1983 Posts: 18Pro
    Not sure! I mean, I guess I probably could. I'm planning on ordering the KTVA dvd set this weekend. Hopefully, there will be some improvement after I go through the dvds and start practicing.

No doubt, @brad1983!

You will find that having a real vocal technique will change the way you sound in ways you've never imagined!

Pay close attention to everything Ken instructs you to do in the videos and workouts. 

You will have to leave some old, unhelpful habits behind and move forward into healthier, more productive vocalizing.

You will be very pleased with the results!

Bob

ok so I've been practicing this last week with the KTVA videos, trying to get it down.

So I thought I would record one of my favorite songs on soundcloud using the techniques from the videos.

Not sure if you guys can tell or not if there has been any improvement or not.

• sspatricksspatrick Posts: 1,278Moderator, Enrolled
    @brad1983, my main comment would be that you are over using air. The tone is very breathy and weak in support. You can hear at the end of phrases where the tone is shaky because you are out of breath. Use more support and get a clean bright tone think of a speaking tone for, and refer back to volume 1 lah video. Copy that tone and carry it into the song. Work line by line eliminating the air in your tone. All the best.
  • thanks!

it did sound extremely breathy, I was just telling my wife last night.

• It been a few weeks since my last post but I thought I would update on my progress so far.

Not sure if you can see a huge difference yet or not but I am definitely seeing some improvements since I started working with the DVDs.

@brad1983,

Still a little airy, but I can hear improvement.

Watch your record levels.  Your voice goes into digital overshoots a couple of times.

Some of this is sounding really good! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you as you continue to improve! Lots of emotion in your voice. 

Bob

edited April 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    thanks! I'm really starting to enjoy the videos but I'm still not out of volume 1 yet.

I definitely need to figure out a way to get my breathing under control so I'm not running out or trying to force the voice. 
  • jellyjelly Posts: 31Enrolled
    Hi you guys,

Here is my new video, Can you guys please check it for me. Thank you!

Hi, @jelly!

Sounds like you've been practicing a lot.  We really need to hear just a little of the backing tracks so we can see if you're singing on pitch and in key.

You should try to brighten the tone up just a bit.

Looks like you might have had the camera upside-down when you shot this video.   : ^ )

Bob

Thank you Bob,

I've been practicing a lot. I will post another demo with backing soundtracks.
     I will try to smile on the sound a bit,

Thanks.  Remember, if there is already a vocal on the backing tracks to keep them low so we can still hear your voice clearly.  If they are karoke tracks, then that won't be a problem.

Looking forward to your demo.

Bob

• JosephJoseph Posts: 260Pro

Just to remind everybody, this is the newbies thread.

While it is true that learning to sing is a lifelong task, and this world is rough and you gotta be tough, this thread is intended to be a safe place for new singers to be able to put up some of their first postings without fear of a lot of criticism.

So for the most part, any "let me be blunt with you" type responses are actually out-of-place here. 

I repeat the opening post of this thread:

This thread is reserved for folks that would like to dip their toe in the waters of singing demonstrations.  Maybe you're new to singing, or just new to KTVA, but you would be more comfortable having your demo seen alongside other new singers, rather than amongst some of our heavy-hitters.

Well, here it is.  Just for you and fellow Dudes and Divas that want to have a few pointers in the early stages of your vocal journey!

This is a safe place.  You can be off-pitch.  You can have bad rhythm.  You can be nervous. 

We will help you.

We won't be mean.

We WILL coach you, and sometimes that will mean that we will point out the things you need to work on.

Don't worry if you HATE the sound of your own voice.  That is a very common thing.  This will help you to get over that hump.

We are here to Cheer you on!

Come on.  Give it a try.  This is YOUR PLACE!

Bob

SO, PLEASE be respectful of those parameters in this thread.  Feel free to be more frank with your opinions in the other demos postings. 

One thing that separates this vocal forum from most of the others I've seen is the relative absence of know-it-alls that seem to look down their noses at other vocalists that might not be as far along their journey.

I know everybody here means well and wants to help others, but in this thread I am asking you to put the brakes on criticism for the sake of those who might otherwise be reluctant to post their demos...  and PLEASE don't criticize them for that, either.

This is the ENCOURAGEMENT ZONE for those who may still have their training wheels on.  Many of these people have never sung on stage before...

Hopefully, I'm not being too critical of the criticism here. 

Bob 

• Hi KTVA -

I am very new to singing and have a lot of determination but zero natural talent. I have purchased the 3 volumes and am practicing frequently with vol 1. It is very helpful and if nothing else i feel it is a lot easier to sing than it used to be.

I am still struggling with pitch and that is something i am actively working very hard on - i say that so you'll know that i am aware of pitch issues in general.

separate from pitch - i really dislike my tone and am looking help / suggestions regarding my technique and how to improve my sound even when on pitch. I feel like even when i manage to hit pitch I sound sort of "honky" for lack of a better description.

I have two links for you, one of me singing and one of someone more professional. I got this from karaoke-version, basically they include a vocal example which i find very helpful when i am trying to learn a song because i can hear an example of someone else singing on pitch to compare against.

ok here is the pro I wish i sounded like:

and here is me:

Any criticism / suggestions is welcome thanks....

Hey, Fred!

Good examples of where you want to be vs where you presently are.  I appreciate you making it simple.

Here's what you need:

Brighten up the tone.  Your tone is more rounded.  It's what is called a "covered" sound.   Make it really bright, like in the "It's the LAH!!! AH!!! AH!!!!" example Ken has in his videos.  That requires you to really OPEN UP.  Open up the Jaw, the mouth (lips), the back of your throat, the entire vocal tract, and let the sound reflect off your hard palate, your front teeth, into your mask... any and everything that brightens it up. Shift your AH a little more to AA and that may help you to hear brighter resonances.

SUPPORT.  Your support is weak and you need to turn that weakness into one of your greatest strengths!  This alone will make a HUGE difference.  Watch every one of Ken's videos here on the forums on support.  Watch all of his Webinars on support and glottal compression (glottal compression discusses support in depth),  Read everything you can here in the forums on support. Practice the ha-ha exercise (The last track on Volume 3 workouts is a great Haha exercise for building support muscles.  This will take much stamina, but will help you build your stamina.)  You will find that solid support, along with a brighter tone, will help you to find hear and to maintain better pitch.

MOVING TARGETS: Make sure you have your tongue properly positioned, your larynx in a neutral position, your posture correct, etc...

PRACTICE.  Whichever KTVA Volume you are doing now, practice a MINIMUM of an hour a day, five or six days per week.  That is a requirement if you want to get past the hurdles that will show up in your path.

RECORD YOURSELF ALL THE TIME, every chance you get.  It will help you to fast-track your progress.  Use your computer or get a cheap cassette recorder at a thrift shop and always be recording when you practice, even if you never listen to it.  But DO listen to it.  A LOT.  Listen to the playback again and again and start figuring out everything that you can do to make your voice just a little better, then just a little better than that.  This will help you to get over the problem of being self-conscious about the sound of your own voice on recordings. Recording all the time makes you much more casual about having the recorder going while you sing. Then when you submit demos, you won't be as nervous about recording them and you will be more experienced with your voice in general.

IF you haven't already done so, go to the Student Videos section of the forums here and watch and practice to all of the exercises in Ken's BASIC PITCH Program.  Spend some serious time practicing these exercises.  You are singing on key for the most part.  This program will help you to see what's up and what's down with your pitch and help you to get that sorted out.  Good Pitch is essential to good singing.  Don't leave home without it!

If you employ these suggestions successfully you will find many improvements in your voice. That will be a good, solid place for you to work from!  You have potential.  Don't sell yourself short.  Go for it!

Good Singing to You, @fred!

Bob

• Bob, thank you so much for the feedback! I was hoping to hear from you. You seem to be very present and helpful to everyone on these forums and I appreciate your time.

I see you post a lot about support, and I think i understand the idea but obviously I am not executing on my understanding.

I would like  to ask - is there something I can listen for in my recordings to help me know when my support is better vs. worse? Maybe you could point me at an example of song phrase sung with good vs poor support so i could hear for myself?

I will work on the things you mentioned above and hopefully post an example for comparison in a few weeks - hopefully improved :)

@fred,

Yes.  Ken gives a demonstration of this.  When you hear it, you will immediately hear the difference.

Go to the category in the Forums titled Videos - For All KTVA Students.

From there select the Webinars, and select the Webinar on HOW TO  SING WITH ULTIMATE POWER.  Go to nearly the end of the webinar.  I ask Ken to do an A/B comparison of singing supported vs unsupported.  It's at about 40:45.

One sound sounds as if it's coming from the throat.  The supported sound is coming from the abdominal core. 

And You're Welcome!

Bob

• Bob - that was a perfect example thanks... the part where he gave a lower volume but still supported example was very helpful.

@Bob,

Can you please check it for me.  Thank you!

Hi, @Jelly!

You can still brighten up the tone.  Your voice has a natural dark sound to it, so you need to concentrate a bit more on opening up and brightening up the tone.  Also, you could let some more of your air flow through the nasal pharynx and sinuses to use mask to help brighten.  Although we don't want too much air through the nose when we sing out, if we have too little it sounds congested.  So give it a little more air upstairs.

You are really improving over some of your previous demos, but you are still needing to get grounded better regarding pitch.  You may need to do songs line-by-line and make sure you are staying on key and on pitch as you move from one line in the song to another. 

I want to encourage you that you are really making some good improvements.  With that said, you may need some help getting zeroed-in on staying with the pitch of songs.  I can hear that you are ready to pour your heart into your singing.  If we can get your ears locking in on the pitch of the song and the pitch of your voice, you will be ready to soar. 

Good work so far with your improvements. 

Have you been working the exercises in the Basic Pitch Program?

All the Best!

Bob

Hi, @Bob!

Thank you for your encouragement! I didn't focus and relax when I recorded these two demos. I know my pitch and placement went wrong and these are not my good demos. I will try to relax and focus next time, line-by-line and send you other demos.
    I've been doing exercises: burble, diaphragm, etc... but not with Basic Pitch. I will come back and do it.

edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down

Jelly,

You sound like you've been practicing a lot. I can hear a lot of improvements.

We need to hear some of the backing tracks in the recording so we can reference your pitch.

Keep working at it.  You are beginning to jell, jelly!

Bob

edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I got some bad quality recording with my mp3 player mic T.T I came back to 1st volume - in this record I recorded AH exercises, AH+AA, and EE. The EE kinda hard for me, I think I modify somehow wrong. Also, am I adding to much weight to voice or not? I will get at least cheap regular mic soon but hope you can say smt by this bad quality record.

My larynx was stable all the time, and my muscles under chin didnt tence (i was constanlty checking this parametrs with fingers).

I got long rest for like 2 weeks coz I figured out that I was doing all wrong. At this week I started 1st volume again. Was doing 1 workout per day whole week. Feels great now, main point I got muscles ander chin relax coz I found that yawn sensation. Also I understood that we actually dont modify to vowels - we just yawn more the higher we go and that cause the vowels to become more covered and covered (AH to AW to UH to OO)

@gabenlarock,

I tried to listen to your track, but got this message:

Sorry! We can't find that track.

Did you try to access a private track, but were not logged in?
    Maybe the track has been removed.

edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @highmtn ;
    I changed private to public (looks like that was the cause XD). 

@gabenlarock,

Thanks for fixing the problem with the file not playing.

As you said in an earlier post, you are new to singing.  A lot of the things I am about to say are for your benefit, because you may not be aware of them.  Please don't take them as negative criticism, but rather as being told some things that you need to know so that you can fix them.  The first step in solving problems is to identify the problems.  Then you set about correcting each problem one at a time.  Be encouraged that these things can be fixed, but you need to fix them to get your voice where you want it to be.

These are some things you can to improve what I am hearing in your demo.

Most notably, you need to get a better handle on pitch.  Sometimes you're right on the money, but at other times you are considerably off the mark.

It's almost like you are not actively listening to yourself as you sing.  Active listening is an important habit to build.  Pitch discernment is something that you MUST master if you want to sing and sound good.

First of all, you need to brighten the tone.  I think you need to brighten the tone a LOT.  You probably think you're singing bright, so now I'm going to ask you to make it REALLY bright.  If it sounds too bright (to you) it's probably just about right.  A bright sound is much easier to differentiate proper pitch. 

Again regarding pitch, almost Every scale in the KTVA exercises (with a few exceptions) starts on a pitch and ends on the SAME pitch as the beginning pitch.  That is true of all of the scales on your demo.

Most of your scales start on one pitch and end up on another pitch at the end.  You're getting off-track during the scale.  In some scales you don't start on the right pitch.  In many of the scales you don't make it up to the top note.  The top note will come with time. 

Listen to the note Kens starts on.  Make sure you are singing that same first note Ken is singing.  If you're not, there's not much point in singing the rest of that scale until you can sing the right first noteStop the CD and get the first note right. Take all the time in the world until you properly find that first note.  Keep that first note in your mind, because you need to sing it again at the end of the scale.

You need to sing the proper note at the beginning of the scale, because if you start off on the wrong note, chances are you're going to have a hard time getting on the right track. 

Do you LISTEN to yourself AS you sing?  I've met a lot of singers that can't possibly be listening to themselves (actively) as they sing, and all of those singers have pitch problems.  When we sing, we kind of need to have a very good idea of what each pitch sounds like in our head (before we sing it), and be planning to sing the right note when you get to it.  We are thinking about this, getting ready, and executing the proper note all of the time, as well as getting ready for the next note.  Your vocal muscles prepare for the pitch, and because we are practicing and listening very actively and matching the actual note with the note we are hearing in our mind and also with what we are hearing coming out of our voice as we sing, we actually sing the note dead on-the-money when we get to it.  If we are flat (too low) we bring the pitch up to the proper note and if we are sharp (too high) we lower the note until it is "SPOT-ON" the right pitch.  If we don't know how to do this, we have to train our ear, our mind, and our voice to be disciplined about this skill.  Without it, we simply can't sing properly.  You are better off with a poor tone than with poor pitch.

Actively Listen to yourself at all times when you sing.

When you record, Actively Listen to yourself as you record, then Actively Listen to the recording playing back.  Listen to the pitch Ken is singing and ask yourself if you are on the same note.  Likewise use Ken's voice in your recording to compare your tone.  When you hear Ken say "Nice and Open.  AHH!!! AHH!!!" you should be able to compare your voice to his and be able to tell that your voice is not as bright as Ken's voice.  Do what you need to do to copy his tone more, by comparing your own tone to his.  Like he's saying Nice and OPEN.  AHH!! AHH!!  You need to match his tone by opening up your throat, your mouth, and your lips more and make the tone PING.

You should spend some time working through the exercises on Ken's Basic Pitch Program.  It's free for KTVA students.  Don't just watch it and move on.  Spend some quality time learning to discern pitch and building your pitch skills.  Practice the exercises Ken shows you in that program, over and over, until it makes perfect sense and you are listening to yourself and hearing improvement. 

I'm saying these things because I want you to learn this skill.  It will make a HUGE difference in your singing if you will turn this weakness into a STRENGTH!!! 

Tackle this and we will move on to other things.  There are some more things that you need to work on, but you need to get a fix on pitch first.  This is important, and you owe it to yourself to learn this skill.  You want people to appreciate your voice.  This is the most important thing you can do for yourself at this stage of your development.

I want to see and hear you succeed, because I know you can do it. 

Go to the section in the KTVA forums called VIDEOS - For ALL KTVA Students!

Type in the password that is in the posting there, and start working on the Basic Pitch program.   Give it all you've got!

This is a really important step for you!

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Posts: 1,278Moderator, Enrolled
    @jelly. The pitch is pretty good on this demo but as bob has said you could brighten your tone a little. Keep focusing your tone to the front of your face, not over the top nasal but mask it a little more. Support sounds all right but your phrases seem a little choppy to me. Keep that throat open and focus on smoothing out your phrases.

@blondiewales,

Pitch, Support, Cord Closure.  This would be the basic big 3 you would need to keep building.

Your pitch wanders here and there.  A lot of this is airy and improved cord closure would help this.

Support is the common denominator that would help to strengthen overall.

Yes, sit-ups would help to strengthen your core, which is where your support resides.  Long sessions of the Ha-ha exercise would be beneficial for you.

Have you worked through Ken's Basic Pitch program?  That would be a real benefit as well.  There are exercises in that module that would help you strengthen your pitch.

Additionally, your overall tone should be brightened up.

Keep up the good work, and keep those workouts going!

Bob

@blondiewales,

The Ha-ha exercises build strength in the muscles that are needed to provide support.  The Ha-ha exercises are not support itself, just a means to help provide more strength for your support.

I'm not hearing support in your demo, so possibly your support IS wrong. 

There is a lot of airy "breath" sound in your voice, so that indicates a need for more cord closure.

Pitch, Support, and Cord Closure will all help to improve the sound of your voice. These are interrelated factors that will all provide better results from your voice.  Support helps to maintain steady pitch. Cord closure reduces airy sound and provides more tone. Accurate pitch is vital and non-negotiable.

Continued Workouts will definitely help to improve your voice.  I suggest you record yourself as often as possible and listen with a critical but forgiving ear to your pitch.  Train your ear to hear what you are singing on the fly, so that you can gain finer control over it as you go.

All the Best to You!

Bob

• opgallianoopgalliano Posts: 61Pro
    edited January 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down

@opgalliano

Your voice is sounding pretty good for coming from no experience whatsoever.

This demo without any backing music is hard for me to judge your pitch and really get the context of the song.  When you go to the high part it does sound like the pitch may be incorrect, but I have no basis to compare without the music.

I did listen to your U2 cover of New Year's Day, and I thought you sounded pretty good on that one.  It's easier to tell what's up with the backing music as long as it's not covering up your voice.

In the higher parts of that song it did sound like you need to increase your support when going up top. More support will beef that up without adding too much weight.

I think you're doing well.  For someone who just picked up a singing lesson program and started from scratch, you've really come a long way! 

Keep at it and you will continue to improve.

All the Best!

Bob

You'll get that AHA moment.  It sounds to me like you've had a few already!

Bob

edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down

@jelly and @streeter

If you had links in your messages, they did not appear in your postings.

If that's what happened, please post again, and paste in your link two times. 

For some reason, many things pasted into these posts have to be duplicated like this.

For some reason, many things pasted into these posts have to be duplicated like this.

And it will work with only one instance of the copied link appearing.

Bob

This is sounding pretty good, @opgalliano.  Something isn't quite right on the Law portion of the "breaking the law" chorus.  It's odd, because it's kind of a spoken part, so it's hard to say if it's sharp or flat, but it isn't quite right.  The rest of the song sounds really good.

You are on a good track. 

Keep up the good work.

Bob 

Not bad on the A4, @Streeter.

You're coming along nicely.

Keep on pluggin'.

Bob

One step at a time...  And then another....

Steady as she goes...

Bob

• Hi together,

I'm currently doing Vol. 2. Here ist my first demo (Staring at the Sun by U2 based on the live version).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23228938/StaringAtTheSun.mp3

Please tell me what you think about it.

Marko

Good recording. 

Your vocal tone is interesting, pleasant.  Intonation is good, wavers a little at times.  Some of the higher notes are just a skoshe flat.  Be sure to support more for the higher notes. 

You're on a good track.

Keep up the good work.

Bob