Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Fasting before singing?

I've been posting a lot these past few days but it's only because I want to make full use of this forum as it's a godsend.

I work out at the gym most days after school which brings me back home, starving for roughly 6pm.
  6/7pm is around the time that a show would likely be on in the future (hopefully!) so I like to stick to around that time to do my VOCAL work out.

But it's hard coming home, starving, knowing that I have to wait another hour before I can touch food!

I'm committed to my daily vocal workout but would it kill my workout if I ate like 20 minutes beforehand?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2014

Food just before singing can be a bad idea, especially if you experience some acid reflux as a result. 

Ideally you would change your mindset from "starving" to "can't wait to do my vocal workouts" and go ahead and give them your full attention.  Maybe you could have a light snack and some water prior to your vocal workout, and then have a decent meal after your vocal time.

Working out your voice after eating would be better than starving to death or no vocal workout at all.

This is a matter of priorities, so prioritize or compromise.  There is only so much time to go around.  Something's got to give. 

Maybe you should eat before your gym workouts.  Can you pack a good lunch box? Protein shakes and energy bars?

Be creative!

Bob