Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Volume TWO Divas / question very high notes

JoyceJoyce Posts: 128
Hello Everyone!
On Volume 2 Divas Audio workouts, the scales change and increase.
I can hit those very high notes without difficulty and don't even have to modify the vowels.
But this range is pure lyric/classical range according to me. What is the purpose of training on this range ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
J

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tina (and Trine) is spot on.

" It is to my understanding that the purpose of these exercises is to expand your chest voice as much as possible before moving into your head voice. By expanding your chest voice your overall singing ability will expand in both range and stamina. Keep in mind the exercises are designed to suit all types of female singers. My suggestion would be to try and sing in chest voice for as long as possible (making sure it is comfortable and has no tension) before moving into your head voice."

The exercises are designed to do precisley that.

Grow your chest voice first as high (and safely as possible).

Then grow your head register (is high and as low as possible).

Then fuse the two together with whatever mixed voice combination you want to give you the color and sound you are looking for.
  • We may want to see what Ken has to say about this, since he put the Divas exercise program together.  I've also asked @tinaalcorace to comment, since she has a classical singing background, as well as pop and modern chops.

Like the Dudes exercises for the guys, it's Always OK for any of us to sit out the parts of the exercises that are too high for our voices.  Never strain to reach notes that are above your range.

For the notes that are within your range, but seem to be higher than any note you would want to use in a practical situation, you again have the option to sit them out.  Exercising higher or lower areas of your range can have a beneficial effect on the timbre and placement of your voice.  That can have an effect on your entire voice, making the midrange voice more articulate and tonally rich.

With the Dudes, we may be basses, baritones, or tenors.  Not everybody will have the same range or preference of tessituras.  Likewise with Divas, you will have altos and sopranos.  All singers and styles have a place under the sun.  There are great basses, baritones, and altos, just as there are great tenors and sopranos.  Nobody has exclusive rights to the limelight.

These Dude and Diva exercises cover a wide range of vocal territory, and are great for gradual increase in range.  They are good for gentle stretching of chest voice as well.

Bob

• Hi Joyce!

It depends on what sound/style you want to develop. The way I want to sing, I don't want to sound lyric/classic. When I sing these scales, I go as far up as I can before I bridge into mix/head. But still I don't have the falsetto sound. Could you post an sample of when you do these scales, perhaps?

I have to modify the vowels when I do this. @highmnt, do you have any comments on this?

Trine

• Hi @Joyce‌

Nice to meet you on KTVA! It is to my understanding that the purpose of these exercises is to expand your chest voice as much as possible before moving into your head voice. By expanding your chest voice your overall singing ability will expand in both range and stamina. Keep in mind the exercises are designed to suit all types of female singers. My suggestion would be to try and sing in chest voice for as long as possible (making sure it is comfortable and has no tension) before moving into your head voice. If applying classical technique in the higher register is something you would like to do then go for it! However, if you would like to experiment, classical is almost purely the vowel and comes with so much ease due to the amount of diaphragmatic support, so as an experiment try and use ken tamplins vowel modifications with a slight sound on the consonants and try pulling back in volume as you go up the scale. You will find this to be a great workout for your vocals and assist you in breaking down the classical sound and building your falsetto. Alternatively you can return to the video portion of the KTVA DVDs and allow Ken to demonstrate what I have mentioned above.

I hope that helps and good singing to you!

Tina
  • Thank you vm for your replies all very useful.
    Tinaalcorace  you say: quote "... classical is almost purely the vowel and comes with so much ease due to the amount of diaphragmatic support, so as an experiment try and use ken tamplins vowel modifications with a slight sound on the consonants and try pulling back in volume as you go up the scale. You will find this to be a great workout for your vocals and assist you in breaking down the classical sound and building your falsetto" unquote
    Do you have a demo ?, or an example on Youtude I can listen to ? I am not sure I understand what you mean.
    Thanks a lot

• Hi @joyce, apologies for the delayed response, unfortunately the forum does not always alert us of unread messages. My advice to you would be to listen to any classical piece perhaps by Pavarotti or andrea bocelli and pay careful attention to their vowel placement and how clearly it is heard. With KTVA the same principle applies but we experiement with the full placement of the voice (chest middle and head) with very subtle accentuation of the consonants. Many tutorials found on Ken Tamplins Youtube channel can demonstrate this.

Hope that helps

Good singing to you!

Tina