Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Lip Rolls: KTVA vs. Singing Success

As a recent SS convert, I have a question about the way I should be approaching lip rolls... Is SS they emphasize using a low larynx when doing lip rolls. Ken doesn't talk about larynx placement in vol 1 (I currently only have volume 1) and he seems to be keeping his sound very bright throughout the excercise (similar to the Ah excercises). Any insight into how I should approach the excercises? I am currently imitating Ken's tone with success: I am keeping the tone bright and my larynx seems to stay neutral. I am also curious about the KTVA view on larynx placement. I used a low larynx on the SS 'mum' excercises to get into a light mix, though I ended up getting a sound similar to Michael McDonald.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,451Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

You want to avoid a high larynx in general.  In some cases, when the vocals are meant to sound "froggy", that is done with a high larynx.  High larynx is OK for occasional effect, but not for a general vocal sound or for Ken's "Bright" sound.

Neutral larynx would be the proper position for the lip rolls. 

Early in my KTVA days, I misinterpreted "Bright Placement" with the high larynx sound.  I was wrong.  My high larynx placement was impeding my high notes.  Don't make the mistake I did and use a high larynx in an attempt to get the bright tone.

Bob