Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

problem with my low notes, need help

JoyceJoyce Posts: 128Pro
edited May 2014 in DIVAS
Hello dear vocalists,

I now have a problem.

I've been practicing with the volume 2 audio work 5 days a week and my high notes have improved beyond my expectations. However, on my lowest notes, I now have a problem, when I try to sing them loud and clear, my voice breaks and become hoarse. What could cause this problem?
The scales provided cover all my range, so I don't see why my lower register should suffer. Or could it be that the key I used to sing before has increased?
I have to say I am completely lost on this one.

Your feed back is very appreciated. Many many thanks. J
Many many thanks.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,525Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

Your voice will shift upwards when you start to wake up your upper range.

Losses on the lower end usually need to be exercised very gently.  If you are sounding hoarse down low, you need to do some extremely gentle singing in that range to help nurse it back into shape.

Sometimes the low end will atrophy a bit when we start moving our range upward. 

Do some scales in the area that has weakened, but be very, very ginger as you do them.  You may have to "retrain" your lower range somewhat with these gentle scales.  As you begin to regain this range, you can increase the volume.

Bob

• JoyceJoyce Posts: 128Pro
    Thanks Bob.
    I am going to alternate the Dudes and Divas workouts now. 
    As you have said, learning how to sing is a long process..