Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Do bars let you use backing tracks or let you bring your own PA system?

Hi my band currently has a 9-song setlist and for two of the songs (Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Baba O'Riley) absolutely require high-quality backing tracks, which we have. I was wondering if bars will allow cover bands to use a backing track or two. Has anyone had experience with using backing tracks in a live bar band setting?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Most bands that use live tracks or midi sequences just bring their own equipment and personnel along to do so.

If it's a place where the venue has its own sound system and sound tech, then you should provide them with a line feeding them your tracks, with the proper connector for their sound console, at the proper output level.  That allows you to start and stop the playback.  Otherwise, if you are expecting them to provide the CD player and operate it, you're at their mercy, and the track may or may not be on cue and happen when you need it to happen.

Talk to the venue and see what flexibility they have, if they have the player you need (CD, mp3, etc.), and whether the sound person is on board with you on this topic.  See if your sound tech can do this task on their console, or work with their sound tech to get the timing and level right, the monitor and main feeds at the proper levels, etc...

Bob