Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How would this course apply to singing electronic pop/lighter voices

Hello guys my name is austin but i call my self astrosky online.
I just need some questions answered here and there as ken tamplin is off on a recording session atm sadly :/ 
Ok firsssstttt off here is a vocal example you guys can base off where i am atm. (just got the first volume from my mom) im 18 btw.

Iv based what ken has told me about my voice as truth   
Hi Austin,

Decent Job!

You are starting to develo some ok pitch (though it goes off quite a bit here and there but can be trained) and starting to develop some tone but it (as well as your range,power and pitch) are being inhibited by your lack of support and too much air etc...

With that said:

You would do well to understand diaphragmatic support better as it will help you with power, range and stamina.

You are also "overusing" your air. Understanding good breath management and developing a nice bright "ping" in your voice will help you as well.

You would also do well to learn about good vowel modifications (and open throat technique) as this will also help you with ease of singing in your upper register. Right now, you are waaay over using your air and when you start to go up top you are "pinching/squeezing" to get into your upper register which is the exact opposite of what you want. A better understanding of support, how to use your breath, open throat and good vowel modifications will rock your voice.

You have a decent instrument, I would love to hear more authority coming from your core in your singing instead of your throat.

Ken

Now i know im breathy and i know iv been using LOTTTS of air all my life..

My infulances come from Owlcity (aka adam young) here are some examples of what i want 1st.adam young singing his new song   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfA-tPKPoNs     2nd. adam young live  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q12ncTU0o8        

I love adams voice. (yes he has melodyne witch is a vocal pitch/style editing software) but he only uses it for style he can sing live )   

I want something like his so bad. I dont want to be a copy cat XD i just want a style like his. BUt i want to improve upon what adam has with my voice. I want to be the best i can be. 

Now my next influence is the ready set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNI3nJ-Nc94   i love his voice too.     

Now hearing what you heard from my vocal example. Would KTVA be able to apply to these vocals and styles. more lighter singing. so far i have come to the point that kens course is only made for ROCK/ HEAVY singing.  and thats not my cup of tea lol     

Is that not the case? 

How long do i need to do the first course too.   

Thanks guys. Please forgive my grammar mistakes im sorta sick and this is taking a lot out of me just lifting my head up to type this..
BTW i love kens voice. dont get me wrong lol.  Maybe the power he teaches will just make this style i want that much easyer i dont know ...
Thanks- Astro sky

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Hello, @astrosky

Well, let's put it this way.

You're never going to get from where you are now to where you want to be until you learn the basics of real singing.

You don't have to sing rock using Ken's techniques, but you do have to sing.  You have to sing without excessive breath and you have to sing with breath support.  You have to increase your range to sing the kind of vocals that are in your examples.  Volume One teaches the basics of singing.  Not necessarily for rock, but for singing.  They can be applied to Rock, Pop, you name it. 

I don't know of any singing method that is going to teach you how to sing like this singer but not that one.  That is choosing a style.  Basically if you study KTVA you will be learning the basics of how to sing and then going further and further into the details.  You must learn the universal basics of singing, or you will never be able to sing like your favorite artists.  That will mean you will have to practice, and practice a lot.  It's not a menu where you say I'll have two of these, hold the mayo, and one of those.  You have to learn the ABC's of How To SING.  Then you can go in whatever direction you choose.

KTVA will teach you how to sing lighter and stronger.  If you don't want to ever sing with strength, then that is your choice.  I would recommend that you learn to be more versatile with your voice.  A person with a strong voice can sing lightly any time they want to.  A person that does not have a strong voice can only sing lightly.  It takes more training to learn to sing with strength.  You are free to make your own decisions. 

There are plenty of singing lessons out there that will promise you the world, take your money, and you will still sound just like you do now.  KTVA will teach you to use your voice properly, and your voice will grow if you follow the instructions exactly.

Your demo of you singing now is a demo of a person with an untrained voice.  If you want to have a trained voice you will need to start training it.  The sooner the better, because this isn't going to happen overnight or without a lot of effort and concentration on your part.  You're going to have to practice every day, an hour a day, five or six days a week.  Not half-hearted practice.  You need to practice like this is one of the most important things you've ever done!

As to the style, and you not wanting to have a rock voice: You can completely skip the portions that have to do with strength, compression, and distortion if you want to.  That is a stylistic choice.  The concepts taught in KTVA will give you an excellent modern, pop, or R&B voice...  you choose the style to apply.  KTVA will give you the basic building blocks that you will need in any of these genres.

I recommend you spend six to twelve weeks on each KTVA Volume.  You can post demos here and we will give you feedback on how you're coming along.

There is no instant success formula to singing.  Good singers may make it look easy, but singing is easy for them because they first put in the work that it takes to get there. 

If you're ready to do that, then you should start digging in and doing your part.  How much are you practicing now?

Good singing to you !

Bob

• Options
    astroskyastrosky Member Posts: 12
    i sorta feel like you think i was saying i want the easy way out and such .-.. I was not saying why cant i just have that voice .-. lots of people tell me i have a nice singing voice too. But i was simply saying i would like to get better than i am now by practicing. and i will.  the style is something i wanted later also. i just wanted to have some style. as i feel like i dont really have a style atm 
  • Options
    astroskyastrosky Member Posts: 12
    :D im doing the course as we speak im forcing my self to do it 2 twice a day for 2 hours or 3. every day for a week. for 7 months if i can.    when should i post a update of my voice? how do i know if im better?
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

If you are practicing like you say you are, you should start to notice differences in your voice very soon.  Some changes will come quickly, and others take months. 

As you practice the exercises for a length of time, growth will happen.  All growth takes time, so just dig in and enjoy the process.  I think you'll see for yourself in your own demos.  And the people who tell you your voice sounds good will start asking you what has happened, your voice sounds different?

You should start liking hearing your own voice played back on a recording, getting better and better.

I like the fact that you are planning to really dig in and practice.  Good things are going to happen to your voice.

You should probably send in a demo of you doing the basic Lah exercises about once every two weeks.

If you get stuck on something go ahead and ask, or send a demo and ask in that.

Good Singing to You, Austin!

Bob