Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Cant stop yawning while doing the audio portion

im basicly half way threw the audio part the first 1 and when i do thetonguewarmup i keep yawing as i go up and its annoying..i try to take deeeeep breaths thinking im not getting enough air but nope. it only gets worse as i get higher...i stop the course all together thinking in doing something wrong. i will continue where i left off if its ok to yawn. I looked it up and people say im not getting enough air....how? i breath DEEP down in my stomach like he said..my stomach gets nice and round and my chest is half way expanded...i cant take any more air than that..and i make shure to not to use all my air at once while singing a note. ...ugh its freaking me out  man ;p;

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

A lot of singers get the yawns in the beginning of their course.  It's because you are opening the throat like the beginning of a yawn.  That is stimulating you to feel sleepy.

That feeling will go away as keeping the throat open will gradually stop feeling so much like you are yawning and start to feel more like proper singing.

The good news is that you are probably doing the Open Throat part of your training properly.  It just feels so much like a real yawn that you can't resist the feeling of a yawn, and that often makes you feel sleepy.  When you add to that the deep diaphragmatic breath, that also feels just like a big yawn... Ho, Hummmm, I'm feeling kinda sleepy writing all of this... 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Don't worry.  This tendency will go away.  You're not doing anything wrong.  It just makes you feel a little sleepy. 

Bob