Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Selecting Condenser microphone's

MusicAvenue8MusicAvenue8 Pro Posts: 6
Hey everyone,I am having trouble selecting a condenser microphone. So far I have narrowed it down to three of choice, Akg c214, Akg c414 and Rode NT2. Does anyone have or had experience with either of these microphones? Are they versatile with both female and male vocals and instruments of choice for recording? I am short on money,between 200 and 500 is my budget range. Please, any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-MusiceAvenue

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I've used the AKG's in the studio, but generally as a cymbal mic.  I don't have any experience with anybody using it for vocals.  I know Ken has mentioned the 414 is a good mic, but he uses Neumann M149's for his vocals. 

I also have never used the Rode mics.  Some people rave that they are great, and others rave that they are not very good.

I have an old Groove Tubes GT 66 Tube microphone that I like a lot.  Groove Tubes got bought out by Sterling Audio, and they Sterling GT 66 is the same mic.  I bought mine on Ebay second hand.  You can find them for as low as about $200.   I paid $350 for mine several years ago, and have gotten a lot of use from it.  It's a single-pattern, cardioid tube condenser.  It has a sweet high-end and a big low tone when you want it.

I also have some Audio-Technica AT4050's that work well for vocals.  Those are multi-pattern mics, Omni, figure 8 cardioid, and regular cardioid.

Sorry I don't have vocal experience with the specific mics you're asking about.

Bob

• MusicAvenue8MusicAvenue8 Pro Posts: 6
    How does the Sterling GT66 do with vocals? Can it also be used for recording instruments as well?

Cheers

-MusicAvenue
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited July 2014

The GT 66 is wonderful for vocals.  I've also used mine for recording cymbals and acoustic guitar with good results. 

I would suggest you listen to one for yourself in a music store.  They may have the AKG's and Rode's there too.  A/B comparisons are great.

You might not like the sound of the GT 66 at all.  I like it a lot.  Compare it to the others you are interested and trust your ears.  Make sure each mic is set to the same EQ and gain settings so you're comparing apples to apples.

Bob