Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Summertime (Billie/Ella Cover) - My 2nd recording

So this is my 2nd recording. After doing 'The Nearness of You', I had a friend who's had quite a bit of training come over and teach me some exercises. I didn't really know about diaphragmic stuff until a few weeks ago, so I've been working on that to strengthen my support. In critiquing myself, I think that because I've become so conscious about breathing, I'm doing it too much when I don't need to. So I keep inhaling when I'm not doing parts that need the extra support, making the less intense parts too airy and uncontrolled. How do I find that balance?  Will it just work itself out once I have more practice and the diaphragmic breathing becomes more of a reflex and less of a conscious effort?

Anyway, have a listen and your feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks

http://youtu.be/25Gp1ihbNlA

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Sounding good, @blackiejane.

Yes, the diaphragmatic breathing will become more ingrained as you continue to do it.  You don't need to actually inhale except in between phrases in your songs, and you don't need to tank up too much.  Just enough to get you all the way to the end of the next line.

Because you are singing in a style that uses a breathy tone, you will need to practice slowly releasing the air, so that it will last long enough.  You sing long, slow phrases, so you're going to need to figure out how to release that air slowly.  Pressing down on the diaphragm is one way, and maintaining cord closure is another.

Bob