Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

kazoo

Ken talks about "It's The Lah" with a bright ping tone. I always get that, but many days I get a very bright sound almost like the old wax paper and comb kazoo sound. Is this a better feel and tone yet? It is very relaxed and bright, but not overly loud. I feel like I could eventually strengthen it though.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

And are you getting this feeling in the cartilage of your nose?  That's what I feel when doing the Tongue Exercise on scales.  This is part of the brightness you get when you direct the sound into the mask.

Bob

• musicmanmusicman Member Posts: 11
    Bob, no it's not resonating in the nose. I know exactly what you mean with the tongue exercise though. It's not being directed into the mask. It's more of a pharyngeal, like the edges of the vocal cords feeling. Kind of like Jerry Lewis when he says Miss Perdy. It feels very relaxed and easy. It's kind of like a glottal compression, maybe. It feels good and I'm pretty sure it can be strengthened, just like normal.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Then perhaps you are talking about singing on the edges of the vocal cords.  It's kind of a light, "edgy" sound.  It has cord closure, but it's not a deep, thick-sounding cord closure.

Bob

Yes, I think that's it. So, is this a good way to sing, and/or workout. It seems to make it easier to sing the ee and ooh vowels.
    edited October 2014

It's not necessarily the way you want to sing all of the time, but like "little boy voice" it is one of the tools you will want to be able to use in order to shed the weight of full, deep, meaty cord closure.  It is a good thing to have to use when you want that particular sound.  You don't want to get it so edgy that it breaks up into vocal fry, but a light closure is OK to use.  

Likewise, you don't want to always have a tight or distorted sound from too much tension in your cord closure.

Similar to many other vocal techniques, the best balance of all of these variations is somewhere in the middle, rather than any extreme.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate your knowledge.