Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Over singing and losing range issue (anybody experienced it)

Hi, 

I was practicing singing the song "Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor, for a little while (after I first warm-up my vocal). I could hit those high notes without any problems (On occasion I was putting a little bit of compression but not much either, just lightly). Then at some point I started to feel a bit tired, so I stopped (when I stopped my voice was still normal)  but after about 20 minutes or so I tried to sing that high note in the song, and my voice just went breathy (a very faint falsetto ). I did a lip roll exercise to try to get proper chord closing, and I could feel my chords struggling to get the sound right. This issue occurs only in the mixed voice transition and in head voice range (Not in full chest voice, that I can sing without any trouble).

It's the first that it happened to me, since I started this program.

I just wanted to know if this kind of issue has happened to anybody, and whats a good treatment for it.

Thanks

Gabriel

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

This is a common thing to happen when you oversing.

Your cords get irritated, and so they swell.  It doesn't take much.

You'll see a lot of posts here where I warn people to be careful and don't have TOO much fun, when your voice is working really well.  It just takes a moment to irritate your cords.  About the time you first have the thought, "gee, I wonder if I should take it a little easier?" it's usually too late.  You have to stay within your limitations, and sing just under the radar of what might irritate your cords.  The greatest offender is too much air or too much air pressure.  Once your cords get dry and you keep singing, you will irritate them.

Swollen cords won't phonate normally, and you usually lose your upper midrange notes (the important ones) in your chest voice.  You might also have problems with the part of your head voice that is immediately above your passagio. 

The best thing to do is to prevent it from happening in the first place by using proper support, cutting back the air, using glottal compression, and simply NOT blasting your cords.  Eye of the Tiger is certainly a song that could blast your cords if you don't take precautions to avoid doing that. 

So be careful.  Fly like an eagle, but remain under the radar of your voice's limitations.  Regulate that air, and support to hold back the pressure.

Your notes will return, but it is important to avoid overblowing.  Sing lightly until your voice is rehabilitated, and pay close attention to remaining below the limits of your voice.

Have fun, but don't have TOO much fun!

Bob 

• Options
    johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    Man that's one difficult song to sing!